31: The Old and the New

Beginne am Anfang

She takes in a breath and looks me in the eyes. "I just wanted to give you a chance to properly say goodbye to Hannah..."

I sigh and rub her hair messily. I smile a little and nod my head as if saying that it is nice of Sam to think of that. I still think it'd be better if I didn't have to bury my ex-love. But, I'm not going to complain. If Sam wants to do this, then I guess I should let her. After all, she did this thinking of me.

"Thank you, Samantha." I say, giving her the 'okay' to continue on digging her grave. She gives a half hearted smile and we both continue removing dirt from the area.

It was silent for a while before I decide to speak.

"Y'know, the old Hannah is actually nicer than the Rowena Hannah."

Sam giggles. "I suppose she would be. For one, sh wouldn't be trying to kill me."

"That's a bonus then."

"Was she really obsessed with pink?"

"Unfortunately, yes." I say with groan and a roll of my eyes. Sam smiles and I smile back at her. More dirt flies over my shoulder.

"Y'know, I told the Rowena Hannah that I'd be digging her grave..." Sam says quietly.

"And now look at what you're doing." I say. Sam nods and lightly snorts in amusement. I smile over at her as she continues to scoop out the contents of Hannah's grave. I stare at her for a couple of seconds and then continue helping. Something about this whole grave digging thing feels incredibly off. We're surrounded by death.

Burying Hannah.

I once loved her.

And now I'm digging her grave with the girl I've been in love with for almost a year.

Speaking of which... "Alright, so this explains why we're here, but you also mentioned something about a confession." I state. I get some dirt on my pants and I cringe a little at the mess, but I may as well keep going. The job isn't done yet. I should have known that grave digging isn't exactly a clean job.

"If you hold back for a second, maybe I'll tell what that's all about." Sam places her shovel down and jumps into the relatively deep hole. She leans against the small dirt wall that has been created by us. I slip down and lean next to her, waiting for an explanation. She looks somewhat determined.

I sigh and sit myself up on the higher ground. I am also determined. Determined to express my feelings to her. I need to act on them. I have to say it now.

As soon as I open my mouth to speak, Sam immediately cuts me off.

"Start digging again. This is where shit gets heavy." She passes a shovel back to me and begin chipping at the earth once more.

"Y'know I used to hate your guts."

"Gee, thanks." I reply sarcastically.

"Yeah. Those were the good ol' days. Where I'd change all the paintings in the house."

"Not much has changed there," I comment. She laughs a little then shakes her head.

"I doubt it'll ever change." She agrees. "But, I don't hate you anymore, which is good. Right?"

"It would be better if you didn't wreck the symmetry..." I sigh. Sam tuts at me.

"You know as well as I do that it's not going to happen." she finalises. The pile of ground outside the hole gets bigger and bigger, and Sam still hasn't shed any light on this confession thing. 

How long do I have to wait?  Should I bring it up again? Maybe I should say how I feel first.

"Samantha, I-"