8

~from Kaneki's POV~
I opened my eyes hesitantly with a fair share of reluctance due to the slight pain that still enveloped my body, but the small amount of pain that I was feeling was - how to say it - not quite right? My mind immediately flashed back to my last recollections, and I remember being caught in that alley...my throat being slashed open...
That's when I'd collapsed, sure that I was going to die, and it had seemed only fitting that someone as weak and ugly and unloved as me would die a violent, unseen death in a dirty alley.
But someone had saved me. That someone was -
"Ah, so you're finally awake. Bien," Tsukiyama said from his seated position over by a window that was surrounded by a set of diaphanous, flowing drapes set in a shade of red. I took a second to look around and found myself lying underneath a heavy, down feather comforter in a four-poster canopy bed, the curtains following the same blood red accent tone. The rest of the room was furnished in dark mahogany or black.
I focused back on myself for a second, lightly running my fingers over my neck to find -
Well, my neck, which was more than I should have had.
"I'm sure you're a bit confused, my dear Miss Kaneki," Tsukiyama said, walking towards me slowly in a nonthreatening manner. "In case you have forgotten, you had a rather serious run-in with some..." His lips twisted slightly in disgust. "Unsavory characters...and were injured. Fortunately, I happened to be passing by, and I brought you back to my family's mansion, where I had our personal staff and private doctor attend to your wound and...other needs."
Still adjusting to the abrupt change in scenery, I finally looked down and realized that I was wearing a clean change of clothes. "Who-" I finally opened my mouth to speak, only to find out that it was still quite painful.
Tsukiyama just nodded, as though he'd been instructed to expect as such. "I had a female member of our staff change your clothing. Your previous garments were covered in blood, my dear Miss Kaneki, though I do so apologize for having to do so without your permission."
I just bit my lip and nodded. "Thank you, Tsukiyama-san," I whispered, trying not to strain my throat, but Tsukiyama tsk'ed at me.
"Now, now, my dear Miss Kaneki," he said, leaning forward a bit so he was about a head taller than me and just as far away. "I thought I told you to call me Shuu, if you wouldn't mind. I'd like to think that we're good friends by now."
I looked down, playing with my fingers. I owe him that much, at least. "Thank you...Shuu."
He nodded, smiling pleasantly, as he backed away. "As you're already here, I'd be honored if you'd dine with me tonight."
"But-"
Shuu winked at me. "I had my servants pick out a more suitable evening dress for you to wear. You should find something hanging in your closet. And, of course, you're welcome to clean up in the adjoining bathroom. There's a shower in there, and a towel has already been provided. If you should need any assistance, merely ring this bell," he said, placing a small hand bell on the bedside table with another grin. "And with that, I shall take my leave. I'll see you at 6:30, my dear Miss Kaneki~" he finished, already leaving the room, and I could only open and close my mouth.
He never even gave me time to politely refuse his offer! I swallowed, unsure as to how to proceed. Touka warned me about him, but he's only ever treated me well...And he did save my life, whether it was worth saving or not...I suppose a dinner is the least I owe him...
Still indecisive, I got up and headed to the bathroom, gently removing the foreign clothing so I didn't damage it.
When I turned and caught my reflection in a full-length mirror, I could only stare in shock.
Despite the earlier fight, I had not a single bruise or any indication that anything out of the ordinary had occurred. Apprehensive, I stepped into the shower and let the hot water wash away the torrential memories of earlier in the day. After a few minutes, I stepped out and dried off, trying to ignore the fact that my hands were shaking.
Fear - that's one constant that has remained through my change in humanity.
Clad only in a towel, I stepped back into the guest room, my feet cold against the unforgiving dark wood floor, and made my way over to the large closet, opening it to reveal a long gown the color of red wine ().
I'm supposed to wear...that?
But it would be rude if I refused to accept his hospitality when he's clearly made an effort to attend to me...
Inch by inch, I ignored every misgiving and slipped into the dress, setting the towel down on what looked to be a laundry bin. Then I checked the time and found it to be 6:25 already.
Dinner is at...what time again? Tsuki- I mean, Shuu said...hmm...6:30, I think...
6:30?! That's in five minutes! I don't even know where to go!

Slightly panicked, I rushed to the heavy wood door, barefoot, and opened it to find what must have been one of Shuu's servants waiting at the door with a frown on his - or was it her? - face.
"Hurry," he said curtly, and I nodded, biting my lip as I scurried after him (was he taking long strides on purpose?).
After a lot of navigating through Shuu's residence (he wasn't kidding - it really was a mansion!), the servant eventually stopped next to another mahogany door and opened it for me, not bothering to even look at me.
Nervous, I nodded and said, "Thank you," before entering.