4

~from Kaneki's POV~
I woke up the next morning feeling more exhausted than before I'd gone to sleep, and as I turned over in bed, my eyes were drawn to the vase of white flowers next to the window.
I hadn't wanted to accept them in the first place, but once they were in my hands, it was hard to let them just die.
But who will place me in a vase? I wondered. Who is to stop me from wilting and dying?
My eyes, still focused on the flowers, suddenly caught sight of something I hadn't noticed before - a bit of beige - and I sat up slightly, reaching out and plucking a small note from between flower stems.

To my dearest Miss Kaneki ~ the front read. I flipped the card over.

I know what you are. You don't need to pretend around me.
~Tsukiyama Shuu

The words stopped me cold. He knows what I am?
He means...he knows that I'm a monster?
My blood ran cold. What will he do? Will he tip off the CCG? Or maybe he'll end me himself?
With a startling thought, I realized that my worries meant that I wanted to live, monster or not, ugly or not, ghoul or not.
I wasn't sure which scared me more.
***
He was in the shop again today, and I avoided him for as long as I could, but eventually, the shop was nearly empty with the exception of him and I.
Just act naturally, I thought to myself, but my hands were shaking as I pulled out my small notebook. "May I take your order?" I asked, trying to hide the tremor in my voice.
He just smiled at me. "Please, my dear Miss Kaneki. Have a seat." He gestured at the empty booth across from him.
I hesitantly slipped into the seat, glancing over my shoulder quickly to make sure that Touka wasn't watching.
Only when I was sitting did I realize that he had been reading a book. I tilted my head slightly to make out the title and gasped.
He looked up, his eyes warm. "Yes?" He closed the book. "Do you care for Takatsuki's works?"
I bit my lip before nodding, a slight blush crossing my pale cheeks. Not much could make me feel anything in my current state as a ghoul, but Takatsuki Sen had been my favorite author from when I was a human. The bond between a reader and a good book can never be broken, it seems. "Actually, I do. The book you have there - The Black Goat's Egg - is my favorite," I said, but upon realizing how easily I was opening up, I covered my mouth with my hand, looking away from him.
He lovingly set the book on the table before gently prying my hand away from my mouth. "My dear Miss Kaneki, I would like to speak with you more, perhaps about literature? I know that I may come off a bit..." He shrugged, laughing softly. "Odd, I suppose, but books are my greatest friend. Won't you please honor me with your presence tomorrow?" Sensing my reluctance, he added, "I know of a cafe that Takatsuki Sen herself is said to frequent. Would you permit me to take you there? We'll come straight back, I promise." His eyes twinkled as he rested his chin on his hand.
I looked away, interlocking my fingers, a nervous habit. "I...I really shouldn't..."
His gaze fell for a moment. "I understand. Touka probably told you not to associate with the likes of me, right?" He sighed. "It's true; I've had some...bad times, but I've found that books make better companions that violence." He gave me a bittersweet smile. "I realize with regret that you'll have to regret my invitation, but I'm happy that you have such kind friends to look out for your safety and well-fare. Now, my dear Miss Kaneki, if you'll excuse my rudeness, I truly must be going." With a slight bow, he got out of the booth and started walking toward the door, but before he could take three steps, I spoke up, stopping him in his tracks.
"I...I wouldn't mind...going with you, tomorrow..."
He turned around, his face lit up. "Truly?" he asked, and I looked away, fingering my eyepatch nervously.
"Just...to the cafe and back."
He nodded. "Of course!" He gave me a deep bow, and I blushed lightly across my cheeks. "Then I will be here tomorrow at 3:00 to escort you. Will that work, my dear Miss Kaneki?"
He looked up, and I quickly looked down, not wanting to make eye contact with him. "Yes," I whispered, but somehow, he was still able to hear me. "That will be perfect."
He gave me a final sultry smile before leaving the shop with a parting wave.
I finally was able to breathe a sigh of relief. I'll be careful, I promised myself. Touka warned me, so there must be somereason not to trust him, but personally, I can't see why. He's only ever been kind to me...unlike Touka.
I bit my lip but resolved to make an effort at least. I needed one friend for my new life.

~from Tsukiyama's POV~
I grinned as I turned my back, exiting Anteiku. Everything had gone according to plan, and it would continue to do so.
My dear Miss Kaneki...you shall soon be mine.