look closer

The rest of the day went by pretty fast and I was actually excited for school to end.

  I would find myself zoning out thinking about how this might be the beginning of a new chapter in my life. A happy chapter.

Once the last bell rang, I shot up and quickly walked out of the classroom to my locker like normal.

   I put in the combination and opened my locker. I placed my binder in my locker then shut and locked it. Turning to walk towards the front doors, I bumped into a chest. Fear shot through me, but I instantly relaxed seeing as it was only a black haired boy with the name of Nathan.

"Holey cow! You scared me!" I laughed, placing a hand on my heart.

Nathan cracked a smile then put his arm around my shoulders. "So, what do you want to do?"

"Well before we do anything I have to call my mom and dad." I said as i unlocked my phone and shrugged his arm off.

"Why not just call one?" He asked

"My parents are Uh. At work. They don't really get time to talk." I lied.

"Oh... My parents are the same way. Except they are split." Nathan sighed.

"Oh.. I'm sorry." I looked anywhere but at him then down at my phone.

'pretty soon Mine will be too' I mentally added.

I dialed my dads number. It rang three times before he answered.

"Hello." My dads voice came through.

"Hey dad, is it okay if I go to a friends house?"

"Sure kiddo. But you need to be home before street lights come on. "

"Thanks." I hung up and then dialed my moms number.

"What do you want?" She answered.

"Sorry to bug you but. Um. Is it okay if I go to a friends house?" I asked.

"I don't care. What ever gets you away from here and out of my hair. But if you're nit home by six, don't think your dad will be there to save you this time." My mom yelled. She hung up the phone.

I blinked a few times trying to hide the tears. Hoping they wouldn't fall. But they did. I wiped one away and turned to walk away.

"Hey whats wrong. Did she say no?" Nathan joked.

"I'm fine. I just need to get home. That's all. I think its best if we don't talk anymore." I turned and ran out the doors. My brothers car was still there. He was sitting there with the school slut Bonnie. I silently walked to the car. My brother saw me and gave me a irritated look.

"Hey i got to go. Call me later." He said as he kissed her. I got in the car and waited for him to get in. He got in and started the car.

He drove quickly home. Once the car was parked I jumped out with tears in my eyes. I ran inside. My mom and dad were fighting like always.

"STOP IT! JUST STOP!" I cried "I will do anything just please stop!"

"Change!" My mom shouted.

"Okay. I will!" I cried.

"you don't need to change hun." My dad said. His voice cracked a little.

"Whatever stops the fighting." I whispered.

My mom walked out of the room and my dad wrapped me in a hug. I cried long and hard. I missed the feeling of being wrapped in my daddy's arms. Most of all I miss my moms hugs. But I wont be getting any of those soon.

After a long cry I went up stairs to my room.

I washed my face. Brushed my teeth and changed into some pajamas.

I let out a shaky breath as I sat down at my computer.

I logged onto Skype to see if my older brother Mitch was on.

Mitch is 20 and he's in college. He goes to the University of Alabama.

When he was around everything was like it was a movie with the perfect family and perfect life.

Mitch was on so I requested to Skype with him.

After 5 minutes of waiting his face popped up on my screen.

"Hey lil sis." Mitch smiled at me.

Mitch has blonde hair, he is tall and muscular, and has brown eyes like daddy and Luke.

I was the only one that didn't look like my parents. My hair was naturally red. A blood red. But I tell people I dye it. My eyes were a hazel color that would get different color flakes in them. I was always super tan in the summer or really pale in the winter no matter what I did.

"Hey." I smiled.

"You've been crying. Why?" Mitch has always been worried about me. He hated leaving because he didn't want to leave me with Luke.

  Luke wasn't always mean to me. But he never liked me. And Mitch new that once he left Luke would be plain evil to me.

"No I'm just really tiered." I lied. I didn't want Mitch to stress so much over me. So when i did talk to him I always faked a smile and lie my best. Which I'm really bad at. But I always seem to convince him. Or so I think.

"Ash! Ash!"

"Oh sorry I was thinking." I lightly laugh.

"Come on and spill." Mitch pushes.

"Okay. I was just upset over Emily." I lied again.

"I don't believe you." Mitch sighed.

"Dinner!" Dad called.

"Well I got to go. Love and miss you." I blew him a kiss and reached to shut the laptop.

"Wait. What's that on your arm!" I shut the lid and sighed.

Looks like its time to pull out the foundation.

I can't let Mitch know about my scars.

It would kill him. He would think it was his fault and freak out. I can't let him find out.