0

My parents didn't always fight, as long as I can remember we were a really happy family. I remember that when I was younger, my half-siblings often came to visit, even if they lived with my father's family most of the time. I've always had a good relationship with them, almost better than with my own parents. Something that might just be because they were always busy with work or my younger baby brother. I really can't blame them. It was never the case that I would openly point out to someone that I needed attention or anything else. I'm just an introvert, I've always been. Still, whenever I was with my older siblings, I felt better, especially after the arguments started at home. Despite the fact that I am an introvert, I initially tried to settle arguments between my parents, it did absolutely nothing. Except for more arguments, a slap in the mouth or strong fits of anger on my father's side.

And now because of their divorce, I will move in with my half-sister Casey and her husband to give my parents the freedom they need.  And of course to have some distance from them, because the last few months have simply been shit.  I'm really glad that I'll be 18 soon and until I come of age, Casey will be my guardian.

"Maeve?  Are you coming, Casey will be there soon! ", my mother's voice sounded exasperated.  Just to provoke her not again, I grabbed my other things and disappeared down the stairs.  I had already said goodbye to my father last night, because they certainly no longer lived in a house.  There were only two reasons why the two talked to each other, firstly their children and secondly the divorce.  Otherwise there was really no communication between my parents.  In front of the court they also fought about the custody of my younger brother, mine was no longer mentioned here until it would have been clarified in the court, I would already be 18. While I was still on the stairs, my mother asked if I really had everything.  Nodding, I ran to her and cuddled my brother who was in my mother's arms.  Immediately afterwards I gave my mother a quick hug.  The last time hasn't been easy, but she's still my mom. Just as I was about to say something to her, I heard the honk outside the front door.  Casey was there.  I quickly picked up the box with my photo albums, books and drawing materials and turned to the front door.  My sister and her husband Phil now stood in front of it, which my mom had already opened.

"Hey honey, do you have everything you need? Your clothes and school supplies are already in your new room. By the way, Phil has agreed to drive you to the mall on Monday so that you can buy things that you might need. ", Casey began to address like a waterfall as usual.

Phil and I exchanged a look and both laughed immediately. "Thank you, but I think I have everything." Without being asked, my brother-in-law took the box out of my hands, which I was actually really happy about because in the long run it became really difficult.

I smiled at him thankfully, for which I actually had to put my head back, I definitely hadn't inherited my height from my father. With one last farewell, we disappeared outside and straight into the car, I let my purse fall onto the seat next to me. My sister and brother-in-law both got in the front and within a few minutes we were on a main road. To finally be out of the house and surroundings was damn relieving. I really had no idea that I was so extremely busy.

"Mae? Hey, what's going on? Is everything okay? ", my sister sounded worried, which is why I looked up at her startled.

„It's all good, why?" I was just confused what she could mean. "Darling, you started crying, that's why we're worried. Should I stop? ", Phil interfered now. Absently I raised my hand and found that I had actually started crying. "No. Everything is good. I started crying in relief. I think I'll sleep a little. ", I didn't want to be dismissive, but then I didn't want to talk about my current feelings either. With that I turned away and leaned my head against the window pane, although my feeling told me that they both wanted to say something else, but they left it. For which I am really grateful to both of them. Only now did I realize how exhausted I actually was. Which is why I closed my eyes and only a few minutes later twilighted away.