Chapter Seven: Pretty

Start from the beginning

I smiled up at her. "Morning, Mum."

"Good morning, Darling. I see you're all ready for school. Now, I don't have long, I have to run out to set up an event for this evening. But you look beautiful, and I'm sure you'll have a wonderful day."

She kissed my cheek and just like that, the whirlwind that was my mother was gone.

I sighed, and picked at the bagel for a couple more minutes. Figuring it was better to be early for school, I slung my bag over my shoulder and headed out to the car.

Just as I'd hoped, Mum had left the Bentley, and its driver Clayton, for me to get to school. Mum and Dad were always reminding me that as soon as I wanted my own car, I could have one. Truth is, I rather enjoyed having Clayton drive me. It's not like I had many places to go.

I slid into the back seat, feeling the warm, buttery leather under my legs.

"Good morning, Clayton," I chime. "How was Nicky's game last night?"

In the little time Clayton had been driving me around, I'd gotten to know him quite well. Mostly because I'd rather talk than listen to music, it hurt my head.

"Morning Ma'am. We won. Actually Nicky scored the winning goal. Took him out for ice cream after and everything."

"Tell him congrats for me, would you?"

He smiled at me in the rear view mirror. "Will do, Miss Scarlett. Now, how you feeling about your first day of school?"

I resist the urge to sink into the leather seats and never come out. "Okay, I guess. It's just a lot to take in, you know?"

"Oh, don't I know it. I remember Nicky's first day of school like it was yesterday. Poor fella wouldn't let go of his mom's leg, cried for an hour, I'm telling you."

I laughed. "Careful," I tell him. "You might just have to forcibly remove me from the car and haul me inside yourself."

He chuckles. "I know it's a lot, Miss, but you'll be just fine. You're a strong one. Don't let them get you down."

"You know," I smile. "Dad told me the same thing. Also told me not to punch people. I don't know why he'd even think that."

"You sure are one of a kind, Miss Scarlett. You sure are."

The half-hour drive to school went by quickly

The half-hour drive to school went by quickly. Soon, I saw the looming Victorian buildings and my chest tightened. Clayton pulled the Bentley up in front of the office building I'd been too last week. He parked and came around to open my door. Tentatively, he offered me a hand to help me out. Surprising us both, I took it.

I got out and looked around. Not much had changed in a week, except there were now students in various versions of the uniform milling about. The once empty lot was full of monochromatic cars, some of which cost more than a house.