The Aftermath

Recap

I poked Xavier’s chest, “Now now Xavier, if I didn’t know any better I would think you really wanted to hit me.”

Xavier’s fists were clenched at his sides and I was prepared to block any swing that came my way. Xavier’s furious glare suddenly slipped from his face and he slowly backed away from me, leaving me in disbelief.

“Why don’t you just hit me like a man and we can settle this once and for all” I shouted in exasperation, I was itching to punch something and Xavier seemed like the perfect target.

“I can’t” he said through gritted teeth.

“And why the hell not?”

“Because, I won’t hit a girl!” he blurted out, rendering me completely stunned and speechless.

Chapter 17

Kayli’s PoV

“What did you say?” I asked, my voice wavering as I tried my best to keep control of my emotions.

“You heard me” Xavier sighed, running his hand across his worn face.

“You don’t know what you’re talking about” I scoffed, wanting to call his bluff, there was no way he knew, right?

“Really, so you’re saying you're not a girl?” he asked stepping dangerously close to me, his eyes traveling over face.

“Are you deaf, that is exactly what I’m saying” I retorted, trying to step back but was stopped by the concrete wall behind me.

With my back pressed against the cold wall, he stepped even closer, his presence smothering me as I glared up at him. “What the hell is he doing?” my mind screamed. I unwillingly shivered, his scrutinizing gaze was overwhelming and with his face this close to mine I couldn’t help but admire his raw masculine beauty. His deep green eyes were surrounded by thick dark lashes any girl would be envious of, his prominent cheeks bones were lightly covered with a four o'clock shadow, his defined lips that Charlie would describe as "kissable" were pulled tight into a deep scowl. My heart was pounding against my chest as his woodsy scent filled my nostrils.

He reached out and for a split second I feared he would strike me, instead he shocked the hell out of me by running his fingers gently across my cheek. His warm, strong fingers made their way down my cheek to my jawline, before tracing my lips. My breath hitched at the unexpected contact and I was frozen in place as he stared intently at my lips. My brain was screaming “run” but my body was screaming “kiss me!” He tipped his face closer to mine, and I instinctively closed my eyes waiting for his lips to meet mine.

“Yeah, you’re not a girl” Xavier whispered hoarsely in my ear, his warm breath fanning my face.

My eyes flew open as he backed away from me, a triumphant grin on his face. What the hell is wrong with me, he is the enemy and here I am basically begging for him to kiss me. I was grateful for the solid wall behind me, holding me up as my lightheaded brain tried to process what just happened. I wanted to deny it, profess I was gay or something, but the knowing look on Xavier’s face made me realize he really did know.

“How did you know?”

“I had an inkling when I first met you, then I overheard you on the phone outside the other day and my suspicions were confirmed.”

He must have heard me talking to Charlie, I mentally berated myself for not being more careful. Knowing the jig was up, I was hit with the weight of what this discovery meant. My legs were trembling underneath me, but I somehow managed to sit down on my bunk without collapsing onto the floor. What am I suppose to do now? Brent’s disappointed face popped into my head and the pang of guilt I felt nearly knocked the breath out of me.