5. Fireworks

Chapter FiveFireworks

Chapter Five
Fireworks

✰✰✰✰

WASHINGTON, D.C.
JULY 5, 00:01 EDT

"Time runs short. You must awaken," a voice cried in the mind of Avatar. "You must awaken now!"

  Her blue eyes shot open to reveal herself strapped to a containment pod between Kid Flash and Aqualad, all four of the heroes had woken up at the same time. Avatar attempted to move but was unable to.

"Kat?" Kid Flash's voice caught Avatar's attention.

"Wally?" Avatar weakly said and turned her head to the familiar red-headed speedster. Kid Flash sighed in relief upon seeing her bright blue eyes. "Are you okay? Are you hurt?"

    Avatar shook her head, "I'm, I'm okay."

That was when Avatar noticed another gaze on her and everyone else. She turned her head and saw Superboy staring at them intently.

"What? What do you want?" Kid Flash cried, demanding answers from the clone. Avatar saw how angry he was about the situation and stared at him as he yelled. "Quit staring. You're creeping me out!"

"Uh, KF, how about we not tick off the guy who can fry us with a look?" Robin asked him. Kid Flash turned to Avatar and met her stare. She nodded in agreement with Robin's word and he understood he had to back off or else it would result in them getting hurt.

    "We were trying to free you," Avatar said to him, her voice cold. She struggled against the metal-laced across her lips which enabled her to move. Avatar couldn't properly bend without moving her arms and legs. There were stances required for it and without that, Avatar was almost useless. Almost. She could fight without her bending and also pick the lock with a bobby pin in her hair, but she couldn't at that moment. She had never felt more defenseless in her life.

"Avatar speaks the truth. We only sought to help you," Aqualad said to Superboy, who continued to stare at them from his position behind the controls.

"Yeah. We free you, and you turn on us. How's that for grat—" Kid Flash was interrupted by Aqualad before he could finish his insult.

"Kid, please, be quiet now. I believe our new friend is not in full control of his actions," Aqualad informed the speedster.

"Wha– what if— what if I wasn't?" Superboy, unexpectedly, said. Avatar knitted her eyebrows in confusion and glanced at Aqualad, before she turned back to the clone.

"He can talk?" questioned Kid Flash, bluntly. In other cases, it would have made Avatar laugh at how blunt he was, but she had to be serious right now.