Before too long, the dance was over and I went back home, telling my grandparents that Cass was there. It wasn't a lie, but Cass knew not to fuss over me.

So I cried as I fell asleep, feeling confused and scared for all these feelings bubbling up inside of me.

(Two weeks later)

I'd tried my hardest after the dance to act normal. But I couldn't help but smile more around her.

Still, as we looked through the photos from prom, my heart would drop at her date's arm around her waist.

I could feel my heart beating in my chest as I stared at Callie, trying to understand why I could feel my stomach clench at the sight of the photo.

My eyes snapped to the photo of her with her date from the other night and I could feel my heart pounding. And then realisation dawned on me as she went on about her date with this guy.

It took me a full minute to compose my face before telling her I didn't feel so good. I didn't even need to explain. My meds made me sick often and it wasn't uncommon for me to lie down in the nurses station or have to go home.

But I was trapped at her house and I felt dizzy.

"I need to go lie down, just, give me a while?" She nodded her head and followed me up anyway.

I could feel my heart in my throat as she lay next to me and I felt worse.

I was sure this was what falling in love with your best friend felt like.

Lay on her bed, with Callie facing me, I felt my breath come out shaky. Our eyes were locked and I could feel my nerves tingling. I didn't want to move away, but I was scared to move closer in case she rejected me.

She moved forwards but I was frozen.

"Kiss me." Was all she whispered and that was all I needed as I moved my head forwards and our lips met.

And in that moment I didn't care that she was a girl. I cared about the fact that I adored her with my entire heart.

We lay there for hours, making out and just giggling over the fact that we were in our own little world. We were away from everyone and everything.

My hands had moved to rest on her waist whilst she'd scooted closer, using our positions as an advantage to let her hands her hands wander my body. And I didn't stop her nor did I mind. It felt good and with each kiss, it felt satisfyingly right.

Finally, the bubble around us broke and her front door slammed shut. I shot her a panicked look and she was just so relaxed about it.

"So where does that leave us?" She whispered softly, and my eyes darted to the door as footsteps thundered up. She could see my panic clear as daylight and she sighed before rolling off the bed, rushing to the door and cutting off the loud knocking.

"Who's in with you Callie?" My eye snapped shut at her mother's words. They liked me well enough but I didn't want to talk to her parents right now.

"It's Charlia. She's resting." Callie snapped at her mom and I felt a strange fluttering sensation in my heart.

"Oh, well I just needed to check in and change my bags over, work have pushed the meeting over and want me back soon as. I told them I needed to make sure you were okay first." Callie scoffed.

"Phones are for a reason mom. I'll be fine. Is dad with you or?"

"He's still in Washington."

"How long?" I could hear her sadness. As much as she hated her parents for leaving her, she loved them a lot.