Chapter 6

Boy

I WAKE UP to the sound of knocking. Evelyn is banging on my bedroom door so hard that I almost fall off my hammock. I grab a shirt and pull it on. I open the door, still half-asleep.

“Yes, princess?” I say.

She barges in and says, “How can you still be asleep? The girl you obviously like is gone.”

“I know. I watched her go,” I say. Well, not technically. I was too afraid to be seen that I didn’t actually see her go. She was already gone. Like a ghost.

Evelyn sighs. When she does that she sounds like she’s in her late thirties with about three dozen files to work on. Then she hands something to me – an envelope. “She left this, I think. I doubt it’s that Stephanie girl.” She takes one more look at me and then leaves. She gently closes the door behind her.

The envelope feels heavy in my hands. I look down on it and wonder what it says. I’m afraid to look, but I want to know, so I open it – carefully. Her handwriting is neat. She says:

Hello there stranger!

You probably don’t know who I am. I’m the girl whose key you found. Thank you, by the way. It’s funny how my worst enemy suddenly turned up all smiley. Turns out she’s got a bit of a crush on you. Anyhow, I just wanted to say a HUGE thank you to you.

I’ve never seen you before but your brother Tyler and your sister Evelyn are beyond cute!

Send me sunshine, from Mystery Girl (whose key you found!)

I stare at the letter and smile. I don’t know her; I’ve never met her; I’ve only seen half of her face, her smile; she’s not like Stephanie; she’s not like any girl I'd like – but this made me smile! She made me smile. And now she is gone.

I feel like a total loser.