Chapter 3

Girl

MAKING DAISY CHAINS has always been a hobby of mine ...except here on the Island there aren’t many daisies. Mostly it’s sand and seashells. So I’m making shell necklaces and bracelets and earrings. Some girls from my school walk past and look at me weirdly. They all think I’m weird. They all think that summer should be spent in mini bikinis. They all think that summer should be spent with a guy – or guys. Really, I think I’m fine on my own thank you.

I like sitting on the beach, enjoying the sun in my white t-shirts and denim shorts. Sometimes I wear summer dresses. They’re really pretty. I have sandals and flip-flops but I like bare feet mostly. I get to feel the hot sand between my toes or the warm grainy pavement under the soles of my feet. I’m spending most of my time on the beach. Staying indoors is too depressing. They’ve started to remodel the house. It’s going to look the same as the other beach houses. My room’s staying the same for the moment. It’s empty apart from the little blue bells I like to hang on the windows. Mum says I might not be able to do that when I get to London. It’s going to be far too cold for me to have my window open all night, all day. That sucks.

But no moping for me today. There’s only two more days left. Then I’m out of here. I’m sure Stephanie Holmes would much appreciate that. She’s always telling me that I don’t belong on the Island. You’re supposed to enjoy the beach here – not mope around in jeans and t-shirts! She’s always telling everyone how I don’t have any friends and no one knows why – but she does, because she knows everything, doesn’t she? She’s calling me the ‘freak on the beach’. Yeah, don’t think I don’t know. It’s hardly surprising, though. We’re keen on being different and Stephanie likes to be the same. She likes to copy others. She leads her own posse of Stephanie Clones.

But anyway, she was nice the other day. She returned my key. Maybe she was the caller that night? Even though I swear the voice was much deeper. Whatever. The thing is she was nice to me – which is odd. But I’m going to let that past. We’re leaving for Hong Kong very soon. Then we’re jetting off the England. For me, it’s the first time to see the house. Apparently it’s quite nice.

I’ve made two shell necklaces when Jasper walks past. I call for him. He doesn’t turn though. He just walks on to join some of the boys from his school. I know he’s deliberately ignoring me. He’s such a mope. He doesn’t like me – his weird sister. He doesn’t like to be seen with me. Apparently, I bring his ‘status and rep’ down. Ha, whatever, boy. But it makes me sad. Aren’t I a good sister? Why doesn’t he like me? I thought he is family?

Jasper looks like me, I guess. He’s got much darker hair than I have. His eyes are of a darker brown than mine. He’s been going to the gym. Last year, he turned fourteen and had a growth spurt. He’s taller than me. Yeah, the whole dare thing was a little childish. But it’s one of those moments. He’s not really that childish. When he came to our school three years ago for year seven, people used to tease him because he was my brother. Then they found out he was not the same. They laid off him and he actually became cool. I guess Chinese people are cool. Ha-ha.

But now, it’s like I don’t know him – only because he doesn’t want to know me. And that hurts.

Stephanie Holmes is just getting on my nerves. She’s always giggling about something or another. Don’t get me wrong; I like seeing people happy. It makes me happy. But then she goes and invites you to go shopping with her...seriously? Someone must have abducted the real Stephanie Holmes and replaced her with this girl I don’t even know.

“So tomorrow morning, right? Or are you busy, because you’re going on holiday or something?” She pulls a face and then says, “So now? Let’s go now!”

“Er...” I say.

“No, come on,” she says.

We sit in a coffee shop with a brilliant view of the sea. She talks and talks about some guy she’s met on the beach. Apparently he’s so hot and he rents one of the beach houses.

“He’s the one who found your key, by the way,” she says. “I’m sorry I didn’t mention it!” She laughs.

“Okay,” I say.

“He’s got these amazing blue eyes, right. He also looks so hot without a shirt on,” she gushes.

I stand up instantly. I’m slightly disturbed, I must admit. A girl can only take so much talking, you know, about some random guy with amazing blue eyes, who looks hot without a shirt on. I shudder. What’s with Stephanie Holmes? Why me? Oh, then I realise why. I’m nobody. She could have easily told one of her Clones but obviously she wants this guy and she obviously wants to tell someone about her incredulous find. If she’d told a bunch of horny girls, then what will be left of the poor guy? Yes, tell the girl with no friends. Tell the girl who’s never had a boyfriend. Tell the girl who is still a virgin. She can’t tell anyone else, and she can’t steal your guy.

“What’s with you?” Stephanie asks, her eyes narrowing.

I glance at my non-existent watch. “You know what, Stephy? I need to go. I...er...need to do something. I’m running errands!”

She raises one of her perfectly shaped eyebrows. “Right. Errands. Fine. You can go.”

I escape, almost thanking her! I find my scooter and I ride home. I pass a beach house. Sitting outside are two kids. One around eight years old, the other is around ten years old. They’re building sandcastles. I walk pass and the girl – the eight-year-old – looks up. She whispers something to the boy and runs indoors.

The boy looks at me. I must be confused on the outside too because he says, “She says she’s seen you from somewhere before.” 

I smile. “I live over there,” I tell him, pointing. “But I’m moving soon.”

He nods. “How old are you?”

“Sixteen. How about you?”

“Ten. I’m going to be eleven soon, though,” he says. “I have a brother who is sixteen.”

“That’s nice,” I say. “What’s your name?”

“Tyler. Tyler Harvey,” he says.

“Nice to meet you, Tyler,” I say. “I’ll let you get back to building the sandcastles then. Tell her I said hi.”

He squints at me, shading his eyes with his hand from the sun. “She’s my sister. She’s eight-years-old. Her name’s Evelyn.”

I nod and smile.

“What’s your name?” he asks finally.

I turn towards my own house. “Uh, some things are better off a secret.” I smile. “See you, Tyler.”

He raises a hand to wave. I wave back and enter my own house.