Thoughts Unwavering

A long silence held them, and Luke and Grosky stood with empty expressions, hollowness eating at their insides. It was a grim day to lose, but especially so when so many people were affected because of it. Whenever they found themselves one step ahead, Costillos and his men were two steps further.

What shook Luke from his stupor was a flashing crimson light, and glancing left, past the conductor Descole, he observed as the top of the transmitter seemed to be in effect. Surely it should have stopped by now?

Silence hissed into his ear, startling him.

"To condenssse the Imperium, the machine had to dilute itsss effect. It'sss much weaker than pure Imperium and must be maintained with the beaconsss below."

Luke gaped at his companion.

"Silence... H-how do you know that?"

Silence blinked, her tongue slithering in and out in that playful way that suggested a thousand secrets.

"I have a clossser connection with Costillosss than you know..."

Luke waited for her to elaborate, but she simply stared at him, and it was clear the time for sharing was still not upon them. He turned to Grosky, forcing a brave smile. He refused to back down now. He was a gentleman, and a hero at that.

"We need to shut down that transmitter. As long as it's running, the Imperium is taking its nasty effect."

Grosky's eyes lit up and he studied the transmitter, nodding as he scratched his chin. Descole, now no longer enrapt in his vision, turned, smirking.

"It is not that simple, boy. Imperium is a dangerous thing, didn't you know? Even with this diluted batch, to simply destroy one link in the chain would cause... Disastrous results."

Grosky crossed his arms.

"What kind of disastrous results are we talking about?"

Descole indulged him.

"Needless to say, the strain on this poor machine having to handle all those below would cause it to malfunction and detonate, killing all those aboard this ship. That's the Professor, those poor archaelogists and my old friends, Henry and Angela, us, and any who happen to be below when this great beast hits the Earth. But then they're not the only casualties. All the millions of souls below wouldn't be able to handle the strain of a faulty connection. It would sizzle their brains into mush, and then you would have effectively killed millions of people in one foul sweep."

Luke felt his stomach flip over. This was insane! Either total control, or the death of millions?

He shook his head, refusing to believe that they were the only two options. He put a defiant foot forwards.

"What then? There's no way to stop this thing?"

Descole's smirk grew, and he shook his head.

"Oh you poor foolish boy. As if I would tell you how to destroy my creation!"

Luke knew asking him outright wouldn't provide an overt answer, but it wasn't what the man said that interested him. It's what he did next. Luke watched the man's eyes dart to the left, over and down at the Earth below. What was he staring at...? Could it have been... The other beacons!"

Suppressing a triumphant smirk, Luke also noticed something else. The Bostonius was approaching them from below. Did that mean Emmy hadn't been hit when the wave was activated? That would had to have meant she was speedy in her objective. He always knew she was capable beyond doubt.

"Seems our ride is here," Luke smirked defiantly. "Hate to leave so soon, but we've got places to be, lives to save."

"Leaving so soon?" Descole grinned, gesturing back towards the hatch. "And what of your friends?"