Cadmium

I pad silently through the inches of snow that blanket the ground. I wish I had taken the forest route, where at least I could have kept my paws warm. The snow is falling fast, and will be up to my knees soon. My pelt is wet and stuck together in frozen chunks, the pale grey of my back completely obscured by the ice and making me appear completely white. We're heading towards an empty human town, abandoned many generations ago. It's a good hunting ground, with lots of animals using the streets and buildings for shelter.
       I turn my head back, counting the wolves following me. Nobody is missing. I'm elated that our Alpha, Granite, allowed me to lead a hunting mission. I mean, it's a pretty small one, only four wolves towing behind me, but it is my first time. Leading a hunt is a big honor, especially due to my young age. I've only recently reached adulthood.

"We're growing near the town! Get ready to take down a caribou!" I shout joyously, as to reach the wolves following me.

        Braze, a brownish copper wolf is the nearest to me. He is the largest in this group, tall and muscular. One of the best hunters in the Whitetail Valley Pack, he's somewhat vain. But he has a good heart, and is always ready to please Alpha Granite's whims.
        Behind Braze is a young female, who sought refuge with us when she was abandoned in the tundra as a pup because of the fact that she was a runt. She insisted that her name was Tundra Eyes, albeit the general oddness of the name. Two word names are almost never used in this forest. Her pelt is a light, mousy brown with a cream underbelly. She's not a bad hunter, but she's very unsure of herself, leading her to making many mistakes.
        Directly beside her is Pitch. He is a long legged male, a fast runner with a quick tongue. His mind is sharper than a lynx's claw, and he's very charismatic. His yellow eyes are blazing with excitement for the hunt.
         A very young wolf is trailing behind us. It's his first hunt, and Alpha Granite entrusted us to teach him. I hope to do a good job, as he seems to have a very promising future. He's not as modest as I would like, but he always tries his best. His pelt is a dark brown shade, and his name is Oak. He's panting furiously, but he puts out a bit more energy in order to run next to me.

"Are you doing okay, Oak? We can slow down if you need. We're in no rush." I tell him, lowering my head to his level.

"I'm okay, Cadmium!" He calls happily.

"You sure?" I ask jokingly.

"Yes! I'm going to do my best and not slow you guys down!" He exclaims, large paws stumbling over an exposed rock.

         I start to slow down for him, but he gets right back up and starts to run back at the same pace as before.

"I like your enthusiasm!" I shout, nudging the smaller wolf with my snout.

      He's lucky, as we've reached the center of the abandoned human town. I scent the air for prey or other predators that will be competing with us, but nothing reaches my nose. I'm not worried, because the caribou usually are deeper into the downtown area, as the mainly cobblestone streets repel a lot of predators. But not us, we're good enough hunters to fight through a bit of discomfort.
       I slow to a walk, the rest of the group evening out beside me. The stones are not pleasant on my paws, the broken streets somewhat painful. But this is a good hunting area, so I suck it up.
      As we near the downtown area, a distinct scent reaches my nostrils. The herd of caribou is near. I flick my long tail, motioning for them to be silent. My eyes, bright amber, scan the surrounding street for the sight of our prey.
       Oak's ears are twitching excitedly, his tail wagging from side to side. I turn my nose up to the sky, searching again for the scent of the herd. Silently, we move down the street. Turning a corner, the herd of caribou is in view. I crouch down, whispering to the group.