Chapter 31

I made my way home after that. I didn't need to be thinking with an angered mind. Plus. I needed to check on my baby. I know she feels hurt and sad at all of that, so I know she needs comforting. Once I got home, I found her on the couch, staring at a box. She held Jade close, who was licking her hands.

"Baby?" She looked at me, then at the package on the floor.

"I...I'm scared to open it Jay....it's for you," She said as she looked on. I walked in and looked the box over.

"Nicki. I want you to take Jade outside and get away from the building,"

"But...what about you?"

"I'll be ok...just go," I say. She nods and grabs Jade's leash and clips it onto her leash. She looks back as me, and I nod to her. She leaves and I look back towards the box. I sighed a shaky breath and kneel down to it. I cut through the tape with some scissors and gently open the flaps. I dig carefully through the packing peanuts and look on, I pull out the item. It was rectangular in shape, and wrapped in bubble wrap. I unwrap it from that, and breathe in relief.

"Oh thank God," Say as I set the New Ipad down on the coffee table and stand. I examined it to see if it was tampered with and it was  fine. I opened the door to find Nicki down the stairs, Pacing. She looked up and smiled with relief. She climbed back up, Jade jogging happily along and she hugged me.

"Is everything ok?"

"Yeah. It's just a surprise I got you," She put her hand on her heart and exhaled.

"Thank God," She walked up with me and I handed her the Ipad.

"Oh Babe," She smiled.

"Thank you,"

"Now studying can be made 10 times easier on you," she smiled and hugged me tightly. I heard her weeping, so I didn't let her go. Her tears stained my shirt, she gripped to me hard. I sat her on my lap as I sat on the couch and rocked her back and forth.

"Nicki don't cry honey. Everything will be alright,"

"But....what if he really is talking to me to get to you? He's always at the park with me and always leaves before me! You don't have any kids Jay! I can't let you die!!" She shouted. I could hear the pain in her voice. I held her still in my lap, close to my heart.

"I will be alright. Don't cry ok?" I say, while wiping her tears.

"What are we going to do Janet?" she asked above a whisper to me.

"I have a plan. You'll be going to the dog park tomorrow right?"

"I wasn't planning on it after today, why?"

"I think tomorrow would be a perfect day to have us look in on you and the man's interactions, just to see how it goes, and compare his face to a sketch we got from one of the victims wives,"

"Should I wear a wire?"

"That may be necessary. He may know who everyone on  the force is since he is targeting us, so you wearing a wire may be the best bet," I say.

"You think you can do it?"

"I-I think I can, but what if he catches on?"

"Then we'll be right there to arrest him before he can do anything," She nodded and stayed close to me, Jade at my feet. I held her still, her shaking stopped and she relaxed her tense shoulders.

"Ok then. I'll do it," she nodded. I made the call and Nelson agreed, never apologizing with his hot headed self. I have feeling we're going to be butting heads for a while. We relaxed for the rest of the time home. We had to be up early to get everything ready for the afternoon.