Chapter 29

Janet hasn't been the same since that day....today we were going to his funeral. I wore all black today, while Janet wore her Officers uniform with her hat and white gloves. She looked gorgeous with light make up and her hair in a low bun.

"You ready baby?" I asked her as I grabbed my purse. She nodded silently, looking down as she walked out the door. She was so dull now....she hadn't said a word in a week, no matter how hard Jade and I tried to get her to. All she would do was cry, every night I stayed up to comfort her as much as I could, but there wasn't much else I could do. We made it to our car, and I decided to drive that day, so she could take it easy and prepare herself for her tears to fall again. As I made my way, I heard her sniffling. I placed my had on her thigh. She looked away from her view out the window to look at me. She gave a small smile and mouthed "thank you," She had cried and screamed so much, I think her voice might have gone hoarse. We arrived in front of the chapel, where everyone was mostly dressed in that dark blue color. I parked and got out of the car and she soon followed. Once we entered, A sea of men and women on the force were there to remember him. Once we were seated , the service began. Janet handed me a folded sheet of paper.

"You want me to read it?" she nodded. her voice really was gone for the time being. Once the Father called for anyone who wanted to say anything, we went up after his wife and brother spoke. As we stood, Janet was already crying. her hoarse voice was scratchy. I held her hand and calmed her.

"I'll be reading or her, since her voice is gone today," I say unfolding the paper. I read her clean handwriting and held her head on my shoulder.

"As I stand here today....my heart is shattered yet again by the loss of yet another close officer of the force. Captain, as I always called him, never by his real name. I always respected him as a hard worker...but he was more than that. To me....he was a father figure that made me happy and also that was my ok to be vulnerable to him about whatever happened in my life. Now all I have is the woman standing next to me now....I wish he was here now....I wish he survived....But the best I can do is catch the man who murdered him and make sure he pays severely for this senseless killing on Officers. This I promise to his wife, and the rest of his family....I am sorry it had to end like this," I read. Janet looked at The Captains teary-eyed wife as she walked down and was embraced by the older woman. They both shed tears. I stood next to them.

"Thank you Janet....you're all he's ever talked about when he got home....if you need anything at all, you can ask me ok?" Janet nodded and mouthed her thanks, trying not to use her voice. The service continued, and they carried out his casket. As they placed it into the hearse, Every single man and woman in uniform saluted him, most in tears. I did the same, out of true respect for him. I only knew him for a short time, but he made a definite impression on me. Janet gripped my hand as she was biting her lip hard to keep from wailing. We drove to the cemetery and they gave him a 21 gun salute. I held my ears, because the shots scared me a lot, Janet held me as they went on, and finally finished. Janet went up to the casket, now lowered into the ground.

I grabbed the soft dirt from the jar next to the tent, and sprinkled it gently over his casket. I was glad I wore just lipstick today.

"Goodbye Cap....you old bastard," I said in a hoarse whisper. Even if I had my voice, I couldn't muddle the words in an audible tone. Nicki Joined me. She dropped some dirt over the maple wood coffin and wrapped her arm around me.

"You ok?"

"N-Not really....but better than a couple days ago," I say hoarsely. She nodded and helped me stand up from my squatted position.

"He was a cool guy Jay....I wish I had gotten to know him better," She told me with a gentle smile. It made me smirk, and I walked with her back to our car, getting in on the passenger side. My heart was heavy, but it felt a little better to know I didn't have to cry about losing him alone like I had with Shaun....Nicki was there with me, it felt nice. Once home, Jade greeted me with a gentle whine and licking my hands. I kissed her head, and she returned a like to the face, which made me giggle. I got out of my uniform and into pjs.