“Hold on with that lecture kid, I think we have company,” Kent yelled.

“Too much company,” Linda shouted as twenty zombies sauntered out of the nearby trees their eyes wide and blank and their limbs hanging awkwardly.

“That one over there with the bite on his cheek,” Ridec yelled.

“He’s the biggest one in the group,” Kent complained.

“How do we capture him?”  Linda wanted to know.

“I say we don’t, I say we run like hell!”  Mary screamed as the horde rushed towards them.

“That sounds like a plan,” Kyle admitted hurrying away.

“We can head towards the town area, there should be more zombies to choose from there,” Ridec said and in the midst of running they all spared him a quick glance to determine if he was sane.

“In here,” Kent shouted pushing against a door and sliding into a rundown building that had the letters ‘P lic’ written on it.

“They’re coming,” Linda pointed out.

“What do you think they did in here?”  Rea asked.

“Don’t know don’t care,” Kent responded hurrying down to the back of the room.  “As long as it offers us somewhere safe to hide out until we can shake some of this unwanted attention.”

“Wish we could lock the door,” Linda muttered.

“Forget it, just let’s keep going,” Kent instructed.

“Through here, this door is still intact,” Mary called racing into a room and then staring about.  “What the hell is this place?”

Every one stared around, there were rooms made of metal bars with skeletons in them, on the wall hung a bunch of keys.

“Jail,” Ridec said.  Back home there were jails like that for people who didn’t follow Merland laws.  “This must have been a police station.”

“So how did those people get in there?”  Kyle wanted to know.

“They must have committed a crime,” Ridec explained.

“There’s a crime worse than eating another human being alive?”  Kyle questioned.

“This must have been years ago when there was a society, when there were laws, when there was a place for people who did something wrong,” Ridec explained.

“So how would they eat and drink?”  Kent asked cautiously stepping forward to investigate the cells closer.

“The ones who put them in here would feed them,” Ridec said and Kent laughed.

“Sounds like a waste of food to me.”

The others nodded their agreement.

“It would be easier to kill them.”

Ridec could almost understand their thought processes, these people didn’t understand what a civilized society was like, they had grown up being surrounded by zombies.

Ridec sighed, it was sad, these remains must have represented some unfortunate souls who had been in lockup when the epidemic had turned really bad, the persons in charge had either run and left them or had died trying to defend the jail.  Whatever had happened these had never gotten out; they had simply died of dehydration in their cells.  They never had a fighting chance.

“It…”  Ridec started to explain but Linda cut him off.

“Hold that thought, I think our friends are inside the building, we need to secure the door.”