Oliver rolled his eyes, and continued to finish his sentence but he couldn't help but notice her hesitated answer and forced laugh causing him to twirl his pencil between his fingers and wonder in silence.

***

With holiday season just around the corner, the classroom started getting unbearably rowdy, forcing him to move to the courtyard; where's it was nearly empty, making the icy weather impossible to be outside.

"Oliver!" Annabeth called to him, gun-pointed at him and in an excited tone yelled. "Hey!"

She matched his pace and walked alongside him with a smile. His lips twitched up from her excitement. "Hello."

She released a breath, her nose pink from the cold and lips chapped.

"I hadn't gotten much of a chance to talk with you." she chortled, "Hope you didn't miss me too much."

He snorted. "If that helps you sleep."

Annabeth laughed, eyes full of mirth.

Oliver flushed, he looked up at the sky with a soft sigh. "Beautiful..." he said trying to ignore the burning in his neck.

"Isn't it? Autumn is my absolute favorite season." Annabeth commented beside him softly. "It's the season for wisdom and change, but also sadness and loss."

He looked at her in surprise, but it goes unnoticed.

"I love the wind." She said with closed her eyes and tilted chin as the wind past by.

"Can't say I'm the biggest fan." Oliver shrugged.

"I figured." The edges of her lips quirked upwards.

Oliver frowned, "What's that supposed to mean."

"Nothing, nothing." Annabeth's eyes opened, and changed the subject. "What's your favorite element?"

Her eyes weren't shimmering with faux excitement anymore, she looked exhausted, as if her aching bones would no longer hold her up. He wanted to ask— it was at the tip of his tongue almost at tipping point.

"Water." He heard himself say instead.

Her expression becomes blank then she smiled again. "Really? That unusually. People usually always choose fire. Something about being automatically attracted to the bright and burning."

"Are you alright?" He blurted out in an impulse, his heartbeat sped up.

She paused for a split-second, surprised. "Yeah, I'm fine. Why? Do I look tired?"

Oliver nodded, quietly relieved she didn't get angry for prying.

"I'm fine." She repeated with the same forced and hostess smile. "I'm just sleepy."

Oliver hadn't known Annabeth for very long; in fact they've only had two conversations and passing pleasantries during class or in the halls but somehow he doesn't believe that she's fine...

Yet they were nothing more than acquaintances which made it impossible for Oliver to ask so he settled for wondering in silence quietly.

He walked beside her and thought about her smile, warm and inviting but those eyes— cold and cynical. Contrasting each other, made it impossible to detect her true feeling and motives.

Oliver side-eyed her, she was smiling wide and toothy, like a predator acting as prey before they attack.

"What is it?" Annabeth turned to stare square at Oliver.

He looked away quickly flushed at being caught. "Nothing."

Annabeth chortled beside him but doesn't comment. "I know I'm attractive but..."

"I'll kill you." Oliver replied immediately monotone.

Annabeth's loud laughter filled the empty autumn silence bringing the edges of Oliver's lips up to form a small smile, he turned before she could see it.

"Is that a smile I see?" Annabeth teased as he leaned forwards to get a better look.

Oliver flushed, and covered his mouth with his hand. "No, you're imagining things."

Annabeth laughed. "You should smile more often. It's pretty."

Oliver flushed. "What a flirt."

Annabeth shrugged, a cool smile on her face. "It's the truth."

Oliver rolled his eyes. "Shut up. Come on, it's too cold outside."