Chapter 11-14

Eleven

Danielle

He kissed me! I couldn’t get it out of my head! I felt so light and airy that I was likely to float away! We arrived at the Dining Cabin door and he opened it for me. Shivers ran through me as his hand lightly touched the small of my back and he steered me to the table where Isabel and Luke were chatting. Belinda sat at the other end talking to her colleagues. 

“Chase! Sit here.” Isabel noticed us and gestured to the two seats beside her. Luke watched me wearily and I smiled sweetly at him. I nudged Chase towards the seats where Isabel had asked us to sit. If we didn’t we’d be rude and I had a feeling Isabel could be a serious enemy. Chase turned to me in confusion.

“You want to sit there?” He hissed out of Isabel’s hearing. His hand landed on my shoulder and warmth rushed through me. Nodding, I smiled.

“Yes, otherwise we’re rude.” With that I walked past him and took the seat next to Isabel. Isabel’s expression turned sour as Chase sat on the other side of me instead of beside her.

“Hope you had a good nights sleep Dani.” She said smiling fakely. “I’m sure Chase has a grueling schedule planned for you.” I nodded and smiled.

“I’m sure he has…” Beside me I knew he was listening carefully. “So, how long do you intend to treat us with your company?”

“Oh, I’ve decided to stay for a week or two.” My fists clenched under the table and I tried not to show my discomfort. “I’ve been invited to give a few lessons, I could be some assistance to you too Chase, I could give Dani so handy hints woman spy to woman spy.” Before Chase could answer I answered for him.

“That’d be great!” I exclaimed. “Especially in self defense…” I didn’t know why I’d said that, but I trusted my gut feeling and I was going with it. Suddenly Chase’s hand grabbed my arm gently under the table.

“What are you doing?” He murmured as I turned away from Isabel to face him. His eyes were concerned.

“It’s a good idea…” I answered and his grip loosened. “Besides, I want to become good and she’s one of the best right?”

“Dani…” Isabel interrupted him.

“How about we work on self defense this afternoon?” She questioned smiling at me. This time she was acting more genuine. “Is that OK with you Chase?” I turned back to him; he was still studying me with deep dark eyes.

“Yeah, should be fine…” He murmured removing his eyes from me. Under the table his hand still held my arm and I moved slightly, finding his hand. My fingers filled the gaps of his perfectly. He was staring into thin air but his lips curled up into a sweet smile and I caught his eye. Squeezing my hand slightly he seemed to go back to his old self.

* * *

“OK then, what’s this one?” Chase held up an 82 caliber gun. Slowly he handed it to me, watching my expression carefully. I knew I looked hungry to hold it, I wanted to know what it felt like.

“An 82 caliber…” I murmured as I weighed it in my hands. Holding up I was surprised at how natural it felt to be holding it.

“Good,” He turned away and pulled out some protection glasses and earmuffs. “Put them on.” I took them from him and he turned getting himself from. Looking around I took a deep breath, we were standing in the shooting range. Out before us were the targets. Chase turned back in his hand he held a walther ppk. I stepped back as he raised the gun to the target. I flinched at the noise but studied how he held the weapon and his concentration. As he finished up the target board was brought up. Every bullet fired had hit right on target. He smiled proudly and carefully placed his gun in the box.