chapter 6

"A real howler in July, ja?" the vendor told the man. "Where ever could it be coming from?"

"The North Mountain." the man replied.

"The North Mountain." Patch repeated with a smile, that way they would know where Elsa and Amber were right now.

"That'll be forty." the vendor told the man after making a purchase.

"Forty? No, ten." the man replied.

"Oh, dear, that's no good," the vendor said back, trying to sound as sweet as pie. "See these are from our vinter stock, vhere supply and demand have a big problem."

"You want a supply and demand problem?" the man replied before gesturing out the window. "I sell ice for a living."

"That is rough." Atticus said.

"Yeah, that's really--" Anna added in until the man shot them a look. "Ahem... That's unfortunate."

"Still forty," the vendor told the man. "But I vill throw in a visit to Oaken's sauna. Yoo-hoo! Hi, family."

"Yoo-hoo!" the naked family called from inside the steam room.

Patch soon waved to the family.

"Ten's all I got," the man said to the vendor. "Help me out."

"Ten will get you this and no more." the vendor replied as he cut down the carrots.

"Okay, just tell us one thing," Anna said to the man. "What was happening on the North Mountain? Did it seem magical?"

"Yeah, did it?" Patch added with a smile.

"Yes, now all of you back up while I deal with this crook here." the man replied.

"I think you should take that back." Atticus said as he saw the vendor stand up and seeing his true size.

"Vhat did you call me?" the vendor asked, revealing to be about seven-feet-tall.

Cherry rubbed herself as she was freezing outside.

"Now, now, let's just calm down." Atticus said.

The man looked nervous of the vendor until he was thrown out and splashed Cherry with even more snow.

"Oh, joy..." Cherry shuddered.

"Sorry." The man said.

Atticus rushed out to the man. "You all right, sir?"

"I'm fine..." the man then stood up and dusted himself. "I must get going..." he then went over to his reindeer friend and spoke with him as he looked quite hungry. "No Sven, I didn't get your carrots."

"Aw!" The reindeer groaned in animal language.

"But I did find us a place to sleep," the man then said to his reindeer to an abandoned looking barn. "And it's free!"

"A reindeer on a barn..." Cherry sighed. "I feel like I'm in my childhood Christmas movie: Annabelle's Wish."

"Was that really necessary, sir?" Atticus asked.

"I'm sorry you had to see that..." the vendor went into his shop with a teddy bear.

"So, uh, how much is it again?" Atticus asked.

"Forty." the vendor replied.

Atticus soon secretly used his magic to make enough money for everything they needed and everything the man needed appear in his hands.

"Oh, how generous..." the vendor smiled at the money.

"Keep the change." Atticus smiled back on his way out.