s i x t e e n | truth

this chapter serves as a reminder that when jisung acts up, he usually doesnt know it.

dedicated to brybam , bc fam you figured it out ;)

🕸

❝ —don't walk in darkness to the end of the valley. ❞

mark had his mother's voice, reciting the same poem-disguised warning to him, every single night when he was little. it was the only few sentences he could remember by heart at that age.

but what had him thinking the most was, how could he suddenly forget it?

the seven boys gathered around the dining table all seemed dazed and in their own worlds, all too caught up in their thoughts to pick up their spoons and eat. even jaemin, even renjun, even chenle.

and mark couldn't help but wonder if they knew something too. there wasn't really anyone he could trust, except, maybe, jeno, who seemed the most sane despite his random freak-outs.

" eat, " mark said, after nudging jeno in the elbow. he almost immediately dug in and mark did the same.

the two had discussed to go back to the room, where they watched the film, and find out whatever happened next.

across from mark, he saw jisung sitting quietly. he had his hands underneath the table and food untouched. despite knowing that jisung was probably not himself at that moment, considering the unusual behavior, he gave his plate a light tap.

" eat, jisung. "

but jisung stood up instead. jeno paused for a moment, chewing ever so slowly as he watched jisung exit the dining room.

" hyung— "

" don't follow him, " mark quickly added. " he'll notice. "

jeno recalled the last time jisung found them, and felt goosebumps up his skin. he subconsciously nodded in reply.

" what are you and hyung talking about? " jaemin piped up from beside him.

" n-nothing. "

and just when jaemin narrowed his eyes, donghyuck slammed his palms onto the table. it resulted in a loud sound that almost made everyone jump.

but as soon as not-donghyuck came, donghyuck came back.

" i-i— "

" donghyuck? " mark asked, causing him to wave innocent hands frantically in front of him.

" i don't know-w, hyung, " he defended shakily, staring at his hands as though he committed a sin with them.

just then, donghyuck stood up and let out a scream.

" what's— "

" hyung, what's happening to me?! "

mark's eyes widened in surprise, before standing up and holding him like how he once held jisung, when he cried and cried about wanting yo go home. he didn't think that this situation was any different.

donghyuck was having flashbacks of his family.

his breaths were heavy as he hid his fave in mark's chest, in fear of something happening if he were to look. mark didn't protest, but the uneasy feeling in his chest kept reminding him that donghyuck was just one step closer to being like jisung.

and jeno and himself were only one step behind.

" hyung, what's happening to me, " donghyuck breathed out, less shaky this time.

" i don't know, donghyuck, " he forced out. " i really don't. "

liar, the voice in his head chanted.

liar, liar, liar.

he more or less knew what was going on; the caretaker taking them away from their families, the gum, the hallucinations, the real memories, everything. he just needed a few more pieces so he could bring everyone back home.

now, wouldn't that be great? mark thought afterwards, and letting the voice hit him again:

liar.