26

Justin:

Kayden needed a few things from her dad's, but she didn't want to go so she wouldn't have to face Nicholas.

Being the nice guy I am, I offered to go get her stuff, but she insisted I didn't.

However I insisted I did.

I ended up winning the little argument and drove over to Nicholas's.

I went up to his door and knocked. Now this, my friends will be what I call an awkward situation.

In seconds, Nicholas appeared in front of me, obviously surprised to have me at his house after what happened.

"Justin. What are you doing here?" He asked.
"don't flatter yourself, I'm just getting a few things for Kayden." I told him, meanly.

I know, I'm not really the rude type, but no one hurts my Kayden.

"Oh. Um, of course. Come on in." He said, stepping aside for me to enter. I made a beeline for the stairs, trying to avoid having an awkward conversation with Nicholas.

In Kayden's room, I quickly grabbed her bag and stuff to what she needed in there. That's when I noticed a picture I hadn't seen before on her nightstand.

Furrowing my eyebrows, I went over to it and carefully lifted it up.

The picture was of me and her about a year ago. I was lifting her off the ground and she was laughing hard. I had a big smile on my face as I looked down at her. I remember that this was from her 17th birthday, of course a day after mine.

"I'm really glad you to have each other." A voice said from behind me. I turned around to find Nicholas leaning against the door frame and looking at me.

"What?" I asked him. "I'm glad you to have each other. Kayden needs someone like you to protect her. Especially since... She doesn't really want me around anymore." He said, sadness in his voice at the last part.

I honestly kind of felt bad for him. I mean, his own daughter hates him. I know I'd hate to be in his shoes.

"Yeah." Is all I said back. I put the picture in to Kayden's bag, thinking she probably would want it.

My eyes quickly scanned the room for anything else you might need, but I didn't see anything. I started to leave, but Nicholas stopped me.

"Justin?"

I reluctantly turned to face him. I mean, this is exactly what I was trying to avoid.

"I just want you to know that I cut things off with Catherine. We both agreed it would be for the best." He told me.

"So? It doesn't change anything you did. You hurt Kayden and Kate just so you could be happy. What man does that to his own family?" I snapped at him.

He sighed. "A terrible one." He admitted, looking down in shame. I had to agree with him on that. However, I felt even worse for the guy. I sighed.

"Look, Nick, I know you feel bad about what happened, but if you want Kayden back, you have to work for it. You have to prove to her that you can be the dad she's always seen you as." I told him.

"When did you become such an expert on woman?" He asked with a light chuckle.

"I've dealt with Kayden my whole life. I've picked up on a few things.." I replied, also with a chuckle.

He smiled and then I realized I was kind of being nice to him. I have to stop, for Kayden's sake.

"Well, I should probably get back to Kayden." I told him, getting serious again.

He nodded and I started towards the door. I'd almost reached the hallway when he called me back again.

I turned around and he had a sad look on his face.

"can you just... Tell Kayden I'm sorry. About everything?" He asked. He seemed so sad and upset.

I nodded and he gave me a soft smile. I quickly left before he could say anything else.

"Kayden, I'm back!" I called out as I came into the house. I heard footsteps coming from the living room and in seconds, my beautiful Kayden appeared in front of me.

"Yay! Thank you!" She exclaimed. She took the bag and then got on her tippy toes and giving my lips a quick peck.

She started walking away, but I quickly pulled her back. "whoa, whoa. That's all I get?" I asked, referring to the short kiss she gave me.

"0h, right, sorry." She said, lifting up my hand and giving me a high-five. Her straight face told me she wasn't joking with me.

"Really, Kayden?" I asked her, raising my eyebrows. She gave me a puzzled look. Then realization clouded her features.

"Oh! Right." She exclaimed. "You're the best. I love you." She kissed my cheek this time before starting towards the stairs.

I rolled my eyes. "All right, that's it." I said, quickly grabbing her figure in my grasp and pushing her up against the wall.

I place my lips on hers and she instantly smiled through the kiss.

Man, she's such a little joker.

We soon pulled away and she was laughing.

"I hate you." I told her with a smile on my face.

"Mm-hm." She replied in an unconvinced tone. She slipped away from me and went up the stairs.

I chuckled and shook my head, following her.

She's a pain sometimes. But I still love her.