2

Justin:

"Justin, get up!" A familiar voice shouted at me, making my tired eyes flutter open.

I looked up to see Kayden jumping on my bed. I groaned. "Kayden, I'm trying to sleep." I grumbled, closing my eyes again.

"It's 10:30! Get up, lazy bones." She ordered, dropping down and sitting on my stomach.

"Shhh," I quieted her, grabbing her wrist and pulling her down to lay next to me. "Five more minutes." I begged, wrapping my arms around her, trapping her in my grasp. "No, Justin. Get up. I wanna go to the park." She said, sounding like a little kid as she squirmed. I couldn't help but grin.

I think there's always going to be a part of Kayden that will never grow up.

"Shhh," I repeated, burying my face in her neck. "Justin, let me go." She argued. "And get up!" She added, lightly smacking my arm.

"Ugh! Fine." I finally gave in, letting her go. She jumped from my arms and then pulled me up to my feet.

"Go take a shower and get dressed. I'll be downstairs." She ordered, Shoving towards the bathroom before leaving. I sighed, grabbing a towel and hopping into the shower.

After getting ready, I went downstairs and found Kayden talking with my parents as they drank their morning coffee.

I walked over to the fridge and took out the milk, gulping some down.

"Hurry up and eat so we can go." Kayden ordered. I rolled my eyes, putting the milk back in the fridge before looking at her. "You're really bossy today, you know that?" I told her.

"Well you promised you would take me to the park today." She reminded me.

I sighed. remembering my promise to her from the day before. I quickly ate a bowl of cereal before placing my bowl in the sink and grabbing my phone.

"Have fun," my mom said as we were leaving. "Take care of her, Justin." My dad added. "I always take care of her." I replied, smiling at Kayden.

"Liar." She rasped in between two fake coughs. I gave her a look of warning and she pursed her lips.

"What was that, Kayden?" My mom asked. "Nothing. Gotta go. Bye." I said quickly, grabbing Kayden's hand and leading her out the door.

As soon as we were outside, I turned to her. "You are so dead." I said. Her eyes went big and she began to run away from me.

I chuckled and chased after her. She was fast, but not fast enough. I caught up to her and lifted her off the ground, spinning her as she squealed and laughed.

I set her down and looked at her. "I do take care of you," I argued. "Yeah right!" She exclaimed. I raise my eyebrows and crossed my arms over my chest. "Who saved you from the creepy kid who was trying to kiss you that one day?" I challenged. She looked down and mumbled, "You." I smirked. "Exactly."

I put my arm around her and we started walking towards the park. I never let her go there alone because about two years ago, this 13-year-old almost got kidnapped by these weirdos that used to hang around there.

I'm pretty protective of Kayden. She's like my baby sister and I would die if anything ever happened to her. With her dad not around much, I feel that it's my responsibility to protect her and take care of her.

Once we reach the park, Kayden took off for the swings. I chuckled and went over to her swing, getting behind her and gently pushing her.

I swear, sometimes she's still the same 6 year old kid I knew 12 years ago. But that's ok with me. It's cute.

After awhile, we just sat on the swings and talked. Every now and then, we'd get into an argument about the stupid little things we disagree on, like which sports teams or movie is better. That's just us.

But I don't really like arguing with Kayden, given her past and what she went through with her parents. I know they still argue, despite their divorce occurring 10 years ago.

Finally around noon, we decided to get some lunch. We walked down the street to Wendy's and got some fries and a frosty to share. That's kind of one of our traditions.

After eating, we walked home to Kayden's house. Her mom was on the phone when we went in. She gave us a smile and a wave before returning to her conversation with whoever was on the other end.

Kayden went into the living room and I followed. "Wanna watch a movie?" She asked. "Sure." I replied. She went over to her movie case and started going through them as I played on my phone.

"Justy?" Kayden said, using her nickname for me. I looked up and she was holding up 'Peter Pan' and had a smile on her face. "Ugh, you are such a baby." I groaned, but i still gave in.

"That's why I'm your baby sister." She said Popping the movie in and grabbing the remote. I rolled my eyes as she came over to the couch.

I pulled her into my lap and held her tightly and protectively, kissing her forehead. I loved having her in my arms and knowing that she was safe.

She hit the 'play' button on the remote and the movie began. We ended up having a full on movie day. 9:00 rolled around and another movie ended. It was getting dark outside and that meant scary movie time. I smirked.

Kayden hates scary movies, but her mom loves them so they have a bunch of them.

I picked out paranormal activity 3 as Kayden made some more popcorn. When she came back in and saw what we were watching, she tried to run away but I stopped her.

"No, Justin. I don't wanna watch this." She whined. "It's okay, Kayd, I'll be right here the whole time." I assured her. "Can I at least go get a stuffed animal?" She asked. "Yeah, hurry up." I agreed.

She set down the popcorn and sprinted up to her room. I was sure she wouldn't be coming back, but surprisingly, she did. Maybe she was going to be brave for once.

She had a big blanket with her and her stuffed cow. I chuckled at her and she smacked my arm, but not hard. We sat down on the couch as I hit play in the movie began. Kayden hugged her cow tightly as she snuggled close to me with the blanket draped over us.

I put my arms around her, hoping she would be able to finish the movie.

Nope. Not even close.

Kayden was trembling in my arms and covering her eyes half of the time. I felt so bad, I just had to shut the movie off.

"Hey, it's okay, Kayd. I'm right here." I said softly to her. She buried her face in my chest and I rubbed her back soothingly trying to calm her down. I can't believe she gets scared so easily.

"Can you spend the night?" She asked after calming down. Her big brown eyes were staring into mine. It was impossible to say no to her when she had this look on her face.

"Of course, sweetie." I told her with a smile. She managed a small smile back. She looked really tired, so I lifted her up and carried her to her to her room. Her mom had already gone to bed.

I quickly texted my mom to tell her I was staying the night, then slipped off my shirt and crawled in next to Kayden.

She was already half asleep, so I gently lifted her head on to my bare chest and put my arms around her. I kiss the top of her head before closing my eyes and drifting off into sleep.