23

Kayden:

"I am too better than you!" I objected, looking at Justin as we walked up to the front door of my dad's house.

"you are not. I'm 10 times better than you at all video games." He bragged. So not true.

"Liar." I told him. He chuckled and kissed my cheek as I stuck my house key into the keyhole.

I push the door open. It was silent inside,  so I assumed my dad was still at work.

He's been working so much lately. Like more than usual, and that's really saying something.

I walk towards the living room with Justin closely behind. The second I stepped in, my eyes widened in pure shock and I let out an involuntary gasp. I couldn't believe what I just walked in on.

My dad was standing in the middle of the living room, making out with a woman.

When they noticed our presence, the woman jumped away from my dad. The woman looked at me and I swear my jaw hit the floor.

I knew her. All too well.

My mom sister, also known as my aunt Catherine, stood there looking back at me. We were staring at each other in shock.

"Kayden, Justin. I wasn't expecting you home." My dad said, getting onto his feet to standby Catherine.

"Clearly." Justin muttered from behind me.

I, however, couldn't speak. My dad and my aunt?! I wanted to vomit!

Then, the realization hit me. All that time my dad said he was working, he really was with her. He lied to me. Many, many times.

My heart broke.

The feeling of knowing that your own father has been lying to you for, who knows how long, is heart shattering.

Dads are supposed to be people you can trust and look up to. People you can rely on, no matter what.

"All this time you've been lying to me?!" I screamed and my dad furiously.

"Kayden, sweetie, listen to me--"

"No! I won't listen to you. Because all you do is lie to me! I hate you!" I shouted at him before running out.

"Kayden!" I heard Justin's voice call after me. I could hear his quick footsteps behind me.

I ran outside and leaned on the porch railing, breathing heavily as tears streamed down my face.

Justin slowly came over to me and placed his hand on my back, caressing it soothingly to calm me down.

"I'm sorry, Kayd." He said softly. I sniffled and looked up at him, meeting his chocolate eyes.

"Why would he lie to me?" I asked. He slid his arm around me and pulled me closer. "I don't know." He mumbled, kissing the top of my head.

We stayed there in silence for a moment before he said, "I should've told you."

I furrowed my eyebrows and pulled away from him. "What? You knew?" I asked, ready for my heart to break even more.

"No, Kayden. I didn't know, but I had my suspicions. I kind of knew something was off." He clarified. "Oh." I said softly, looking down.

I wish Justin would've told me he felt that way. Me and him could've figured it out sooner.

"Justin, I wanna go to my moms." I told him softly.

He looked at me and I recognized  that look right away. He was going to say no.

"Kayd, I think you should stay here and work things out with your dad." He suggested. I shook my head. "No. I don't want to stay here. I don't want to be around him." I objected.

He sighed and I knew he was giving in. "Fine. Go get your stuff." He said. I nodded and reluctantly went back inside.

"Kayden." My dad's voice said, stopping me. I turned around and gave him a cold look. "What? You're gonna be "working" late again so you won't be home tonight?" I asked, putting air quotes around the word 'working'.

"Kayden, sweetie, I'm sorry. But I can promise that it wasn't all a lie." He told me. "Who cares? You still lied to me." I snapped.

"I lied to you for a reason!" He suddenly boomed. I jumped A bit, taking a step back.

I noticed him calm down a bit, his facial expression softening. "I lied to you because I didn't know how well you would take me dating your mom's sister." He said in a softer tone.

"well let me tell you, even if you'd told me the truth from the start, I would still be mad at you. You betrayed me and mom! That's her own sister and my aunt!" I raised my voice.

"Look, ever since I met Catherine, I have felt something special for her. And so has she." He said. I raised my eyebrows at him.

My dad and Catherine Matt long before I was born. That meant that my dad had been in love with another woman during his entire marriage with my mom.

I didn't think my heart could take anymore. The boy, was I just proved wrong.

"you never even loved mom?!" I screamed at him, tears coming to my eyes. "Kayden, of course I did. But, Catherine..." he trailed off.

Anger boiled inside of me and I clenched my fist. Just then, Justin walked in. He looked at both me and my dad and realized that things had only gotten worse.

I looked at my dad. My lying, cheating dad. "I hate you!" I screamed at him before running up to my room.

Justin followed me again, closely behind. I quickly grabbed my backpack and stuffed everything I needed inside of it.

"Kayden, I understand you're mad, but--"

"i'm not staying here, Justin," I interrupted him, already knowing where he was going with this statement. "I can't stay here." I added in a softer tone.

Picking up one last thing, I stuffed it in my backpack and then threw it over my shoulder.

"Let's go." I mumbled to Justin, walking towards my door. He followed and we walked down the stairs, finding my dad and Catherine talking in the kitchen. They both looked worried.

When they noticed us, they stopped talking and stood up.

"Kayden, let's just talk about this!" Catherine said to me. I shook my head. "No. I'm going home." I told them.

"Kayden, this is your home." My dad stated, confused. I looked up at him.

"Not anymore." I said softly.

And with that, I walked out the door, never wanting to come back.