13 | What's cooking, good looking?

Cooking is my passion, my life, and who I am.

I sat in the now empty kitchen thinking about the dinner. Four days? That seemed impossible unless you are indeed a Possible, no, I need to focus on the dinner. If this dinner ends up a failure this may be the end of the Jameson reputation. I started to panic in place, but collected myself in an instant with a few quick deep breaths. Now if I remembered properly Nathan said his father likes high quality cuts while his sister enjoys seafood. Okay. And for him he likes Italian...first thing first, I need to decide on the grade of meat to serve Mr. Prescott. I grabbed my phone and started to skim through my contacts. I know a few people that can deliver this meat to me in two days along with the complimenting choice of seafood. I made a mental note on that to further discuss with dad. I then started to think of a pasta that would not be too heavy on the stomach, something that won't fill up a person. My pasta leggero came to my mind and then ran to my dad's "temporary" study.

"Dad, I know what we can do for the dinner!"

"Okay, tell me what you got" He grabbed his notepad and a ball point pen. With one swift motion he was in his "listening" position which was him with one leg crossed on his lap and the notepad nuzzled his calf.

"Okay, so you know my pasta leggero was a hit in the past, so I thought of doing that but with a splash of surf, minus the turf?"

"So we would sub the chicken in your recipe for some seafood, and how about the items to be served before?"

"I know it is cliche, but serve warm bread with an olive oil mixture and, or a soup, I was thinking of your soup a la blanc"

"That does sound interesting, the pasta would check off Nathan and Kristine's tastes, but what do you suggest for Mr. Prescott?"

"Well Nathan said any expensive meat, but I was considering kobe"

"A5 grade?" I nodded; dad noted my suggestions with his pen. The scribbling of the writing utensil made me feel tense. The sound of him crossing out words did not help. My palms started to become sweaty as my grip on my jeans became tighter. I let out a sigh as he lifted the pen from the notepad's surface and stuck it behind his right ear. I looked up at him, but I could not get an answer with just his blank face.

"So, umm..."

"I agree with going with your route on the pasta and the appeteaser being my soup a la blanc, but for the final course, I think pairing the beef with a lobster tail is the way to go. Also great choice of meat, I have a feeling that Mr. Prescott would appreciate the marbling and grade"

"Dad you know it's only four days until then"

"Then we better get cooking"

"Thought you'd never ask"

_ _ _ _ _ _

(One day before the dinner)

It was the morning before the dinner and I groaned in my bed. My phone has been buzzing constantly since one in the morning. I looked to see what it said and saw messages from Nathan. Gosh, he is seriously nervous for the dinner; he's been checking on me and how the preparations are going. I always told him that I was fine, and my dad is a professional...but that did not stop him from sending more texts. I stretched my arms up and took in a deep breath.

ClareBear: Good Morning

I waited for him to reply, then decided to fix myself up for the day. I chose a simple look with plain jeans and a burgundy boyfriend tee. I put my hair up in a snug messy bun and left some hair on the front to frame my face. By the time I got back to check my phone Nathan had already replied. I thought for a moment then grabbed my phone. I decided to switch up the conversation. Seriously, anything to get him to stop asking me how is the food every hour.

I hurried downstairs to see my dad with a wide grin plastered on his face

I hurried downstairs to see my dad with a wide grin plastered on his face. I was taken back his expression and positioned myself on the last step of the staircase and looked at him with a suspicious suspecting look.

"What?" He looked at me with a not-so-subtle tone

"You have something, but I can't tell if it is good..." I moved my body to the right to try to get a glimpse of the item he had hidden, but his body moved in the same direction, "Or bad" I moved to the other side and he mimicked my move once again. I stood there and crossed my arms; I gave him a look.

"It's good, actually it's great" He placed the item (box) onto the countertop and I just stared. I really wanted to know what was inside the cardboard but waited for my dad to give permission to open it since it was more polite that way. He gave me a nod, and I went right into the removal of the box lid to be greeted by tissue paper. I unwrapped the paper from left to right to reveal a clean white chef uniform. The excitement I had could not even be compared to anything, I was now a step closer to becoming a professional chef. With this uniform, I can do just that. After placing the uniform back into the box I turned to my dad and hugged him tightly. I am so lucky to have a dad like him. Then I gave him another look, and he nodded as we went over the preparations for the dinner tomorrow night.

Get ready Prescotts for a very eventful night.