3 | The promises we make

Promise me this....

          As the party progressed more into the night the adults become more alive and awake while the children drifted off to sleep and tiredness. Well most of the kids fell asleep. That being any kid that was under the age of eleven that is. Blair was asleep in my mom arms and dad was on his third glass of champagne. It made sense since Blair was only six and liked to sleep a lot. While dad drank to keep up with the other men in the room. I was so focused on how Nathan was able to sit there in complete silence as his dad just talked. I would have at least fiddled with the tablecloth or something. Mom leaned towards me while carefully cradling Blair.

          "Sweetheart are you having fun?" She asked me this and all I wanted to say was no, but I did have fun earlier just not right now. So I shook my head up and down to tell her yes. She smiled and bounced Blair a bit as she baby mumbled in her sleep.

          "That's good, I'm going to go up back to the room now. I'm pooped out of fancy partying already", This signaled me that I had to get the mommy bag from under the table to hand to her.

           "Thank you honey, you want to go up with mommy?"

           I shook my head in a "no" response this time. She then gently kissed my cheek with caution, trying her best to not wake Blair.

          "Okay, just watch over daddy, good night sweetheart"

          And with that dad finally noticed that mom got out of her seat. He got out of his own and held onto her in a loving hold.

          "Kimberly, will you alright going back by yourself?"

          "Yes Andy, I'll be fine and besides you need to stay here with our party animal" She softly giggled at me and graciously left the event room.

          "Just you and me kiddo" My dad teased, he knew I didn't like being called that since I would protest and say that I am not a kid anymore, but then he will always reply with: you will always be a kid in my eyes. I punched his arm as punishment for calling me that, he chuckled lightly, and continued with his glass of "adult apple juice".

          So when will this party really end the chit chat and start the actual party stuff?

          Thankfully Mr. Prescott concluded his speech about the houses and waiters dispersed into the room with trays of sweets and more champagne.

          Great! This is just what I need, my dad getting drunk.

          I'm just glad that he knows how to control his alcohol intake, unlike the other men in the room. Mr. Prescott got down from the head table and began to mingle with the businessmen. Nathan looked relieved to see his father leave as he let out a huge sigh and slid away from his seat. While my dad was occupied in a conversation about his cooking and the few restaurant he owns. I walked over to surprisingly chirpy Nathan, I was now confused, what happened to the timid Bambi from earlier.

          "Hey Nathan, you seem happy"

          "I'm just glad that the speech is over, can we play that game now?"

          "Hide and seek?"

          "Yes!"

          "No can do Bambi!" He looked at me with a blank expression, his smile that I never saw before was gone in that instant.

          "Why not?"

          "Because Blair is not here and it is no fun if we play with just the two of us" I crossed my arms and pouted. Maybe another game will have to do.