Help me, God. Let her believe me.

"I would never hurt you like that, Rose. I would never accost an innocent maiden," he murmured.

"How can I believe you when Keira was so upset? She was crying all night. How could anyone fake such pain?" Rose asked. Tristan pulled her one step closer.

"You can believe me because you know me. You know the type of person I am; you know I would not make unwanted advances on a woman. Samuel was with me that night and can vouch that I could not have been where this maiden said I was. Besides, I could never be interested in the affections of this woman. My mind and my heart belong to another," Tristan said softly as he gazed at Rose. Rose wiped away a tear with her free hand.

"You really did not touch Keira?"

"I promise I did not," he assured her.

"But... but why would Keira lie like that?" Her eyebrows were furrowed in deep confusion as she met Tristan's gaze.

"This is not the first time I have been accused of a situation like this. You must remember that I am the Prince, the next King. There are many women who have tried to claim the position of the future Queen. If Keira could prove that I had dishonoured her then I would have been forced to marry her - to protect her, you understand. Other women have tried similar tactics, but none have succeeded. I am not the type of person to accost a maiden. You must believe me, I would never do something so obscene," Tristan explained. "Please believe me, Rose," he begged. "Please."

"I... I believe you," Rose said after a moment. Tristan sighed in relief as his fear faded. He released her arm from his grasp. Rose lowered her arm and looked at the ground for a minute, her chin quivering. Tristan opened his arms slowly. Rose looked up at him and without a word she stepped up to him and accepted his embrace.

Tristan held her tightly, revelling in the feeling of her in his arms. Thank you, God, thank you. She had believed him even though she had felt so hurt. Rose was clutching onto the front of his shirt as she rested her head against his chest.

"I am so sorry, I never wanted you to be hurt," Tristan whispered to her. She nodded, the top of her head tickling him as her stray hairs brushed against his nose.

"I know. I am sorry too, I should not have made my conclusion without talking to you first," she said, her voice slightly muffled against his shirt. Rose pulled her head away a little so that she could look up at him. "It was just so hard. Keira seemed so distraught I thought her words must be true, but I did not want to believe them." Tristan reached up and brushed his thumb along her cheek gently. His breathing practically stopped as he touched the smoothness of her skin. She was the most beautiful woman he had ever known. She was undeniably precious to him, just the thought of losing her made his heart flop in his chest.

He loved the way she was strong yet gentle; the way her eyes lit up when she saw him; he loved the way she spoke her mind; he loved how she was generous and selfless. He loved everything about her. Loved...

I love her, he realised in wonder. It was if the clouds had dissolved in his mind and everything had become clear. The wonder faded into a sudden, enthusiastic joy. He wanted to shout it to the world that his heart belonged to Rose Culbert, the most perfect maiden of them all. There was no other that could steal his breath away and make his heart race. Exultation raced through him. I love her, God, I love her so much.

He looked down at Rose. She was staring up at him with those beautiful, vulnerable eyes, unaware of his sudden realization. He longed to kiss her and tell her he loved her, but he held back. Not yet, not yet. Tristan dropped his hand from her cheek and instead settled for holding her. Rose rested her head back on his chest and sighed quietly. He wondered if she could feel the rapid pounding of his heart. He held on to her tightly and tried to imprint every detail of their embrace into his mind.