Is she perhaps married with a little Omeed? The thought of that happening gave his fragile heart a bolt of pain. Hafez couldn't comprehend what his action would be if she has in fact moved on with her life. One thing he was sure of was that it would tear him apart.

He was out of bed the next morning, deciding to attend court for the first time in months. Hafez needed to take him anger out on someone and his ministers seemed like the perfect scapegoats.

Court was already in section when Hafez escorted by Amir and a few eunuchs arrived. Hafez shushed a eunuch as he was about to announce his arrival. He stood outside patiently as he listened to the issues being put forward.

Hafez's temper flared as he watched the prime minister prance around like he owned the place. He watched as he shoot down complaints, throwing scrolls into a pile to be destroyed. The eunuchs that were stood next to Hafez took several steps away from him. They could hear him gritting his teeth as he shook in anger.

Amir gulped knowing this wasn't going to end well. Taking a doubtful step, he got really close to Hafez then spoke. "Your majesty, you need to calm down. That time hasn't come." Amir whispered for only Hafez to hear him.

"Pass me a sword!" Hafez ordered Amir who was torn between following order or doing the right thing. "Amir, I said pass me a sword!" Amir quickly got on his knees and begged Hafez not to behave rashly.

"You have held it all inside for years now your majesty. Don't jeopardise all your efforts." Amir begged noticing the eunuchs have all scurried away in different directions. Hafez laughed loudly as he walked into the hall.

The ministers all stood up to greet him in acknowledgement of his arrival. There were shocked to see him looking hearty and well. When he was last seen months ago they had been certain he was at death's door.

What could have caused this miraculous recovery? They wondered as some smiled genuinely, others frowned whilst some shook in fright. The prime minister couldn't make out if he was staring at Hafez's ghost or not.

He was certain without a doubt his spies had told him only three days ago Hafez couldn't move or swallow solid foods. Even the summoned imperial physicians had given up on him. Only waiting to pronounce him dead.

Hafez clapped his hands hysterically making the murmurs come to a stop. "Don't worry, it's me alright. I am not dead at least not yet." He teased the ministers who looked confused and scared as he took his seat on his throne. "Continue! don't let my presence bother you.!" He ordered the ministers.

He listened to the ministers speak timidly for a while before he stopped them abruptly. "I am tired of your gibberish. What are those scrolls doing on the floor?" Hafez growled looking pointedly at the prime minister. "Hand them over!"

With shaky hands the prime minster passed the scrolls to Amir who in turn gave the to Hafez. "Food shortage." Hafez snorted. "Famine in villages!" He raised a brow as he stared at the prime minister. "High mortality rate!" Hafez laughed as he dumped the pile of scrolls on the floor sending a glare towards the ministers.

"Y- your ma- majesty." The prime minister got on his knees begging to be pardoned. He knew his day has likely arrived. "Your servant was wrong. Please forgive your servant your majesty." He apologised as he wept like a child.

"You were going to keep these reports from me? You deceive your king?"  Hafez laughed psychotically as the minsters squirmed. "You are hereby dismissed from court! I am sparing your life because you are concubine Afsoon's father." 

Returning his attention back to the other ministers present, Hafez sent out a vivid warning that resounded in the hall to all the ministers both present and absent.

"I wont hesitate to chop off your heads and perhaps that of your family if you don't do your jobs accurately. Let this be a warning to everyone of you." He grinned enjoying the stunned look he got in return.

Hafez stood up without a backward glance he left court with Amir hot on his trail. "Thank you Amir. I almost lost it there, thank you for reminding me of my goals." He spoke gratefully as he returned to his chamber.

"I am sorry to have disobeyed you momentarily your majesty." Amir apologised even though it was for the best at the time. Hafez simply waved him off.

"I will be inspecting the city outskirts tonight, make preparations!" He ordered Amir who simply nodded. "Take extra precaution tonight I doubt Ali will be sitting idly after that altercation." He smirked at the prospect of being attacked by Ali.

"Yes your majesty, if you have nothing else you'd like me to do then I will leave immediately to make arrangements." Amir said as they came to a stop at Hafez's door.

"Have someone bring me every scroll. Nothing should be left behind. Also send for the Nazir if he's now well enough." The present Nazir, Omeed's uncle had been recovering after being poisoned months ago. The assailant was still at large.

"Yes your majesty." Amir said with a bow as Hafez walked away into his chamber. "Go fetch every scroll from the hall. His majesty wants them!" Amir ordered a junior eunuch who dashed off to get them.

That evening Hafez, Amir and ten guards left the palace secretly to investigate what has become of the beggars. They travelled only a few miles before it became clear what had happened. Unbeknownst to Hafez, in Ali's quest to keep up the façade of a prosperous nation, he had banished every beggar in the city.

Ali's move not only worsen the situation but has led to the deaths of hundreds of people who have died in starvation. He had even implemented all of these in Hafez's name making the poor and less privilege curse Hafez for being a cruel and unjust king.

As he went around interviewing them, they all unanimously agreed the prime minister and the king were the scums of the earth for ignoring their plights and leaving them to rot in this forsaken village. Amir had been tempted a few times to chide them and to speak in favour of the king but Hafez has shushed him.

Hafez wanted to hear what they thought of him as a king and was willing to hear the hard truth even if the truth left behind a bitter taste in his mouth.

Author's note: Short chapter but thought I should give you a insight to Hafez's reign as king

Next chapter will focus on Omeed's time in Ming Dynasty