"That's so cool," Alaska tells me when I'm finished. "I've always wanted to go to America."

"Same here," Julian agrees. "Well, now you've told us a little bit about yourself, it's my turn."

I learn that Julian is in Hufflepuff, and that his favourite lessons are Herbology -because the head of Hufflepuff teaches it, and she's a little biased towards students from her house- and Transfiguration, because he finds it easy. I also learn that he's keeper on the Hufflepuff Quidditch team.

Alaska tells me that she's in Gryffindor, and that she likes Care for Magical Creatures and one day wants to work in Romania at a dragon sanctuary. She also tells me that most of her friends call her Allie, and I'm pleased when she tells me she'd like me to call her that.

I quickly realize that I really like them both- they're funny, and kind, and both have a lot of the same interests as me. As we talk for longer and longer, I get more and more comfortable with them. I find myself hoping I get sorted into the same house as one of them- I'd prefer Gryffindor to Hufflepuff, though.

Soon the three of us get into our school uniform and robes, and Allie covers Julian's eyes with a tie while we change. Meanwhile, Julian does no such thing- he just winks at us as he stands there completely shirtless for an excessive amount of time.

"-so I'm standing there in my Quidditch robes, covered in dust, and Snape is yelling at me, and suddenly a doxy comes flying out of my pocket and attacks him!" Julian says. He and Allie are taking turns telling me stories about the Potions teacher, Severus Snape, and he sounds like an asshole. I laugh at the story, but I stop when the train suddenly screeches to a halt. Julian sits up from his position lying on the seat, and crawls over to the window. The three of us peer out, but it's dark and gloomy, and we can't see anything.

"We can't be there yet- what's going on?" Allie says, looking at Julian and I.

The lights flicker out. Allie yelps a little. I continue to peer out of the window, and there's nothing, until suddenly a large grey figure swoops past our window. "Did you guys see that?" I say breathlessly, jumping back from the window before quickly coming back, looking for it again.

"What was it?" Julian says.

"I don't know- it was big, and had kind of greyish robes on. It came by the window really quick. It wasn't human, but it was flying."

I start to shiver, and when I exhale, I can see my breath. I watch, my heart beating fast, as the windows frost over. I turn to Julian and Allie, and they're experiencing the same thing. I feel chilled down to my bones, and it's not just because I'm cold. Slowly, I draw my wand out, and as soon as my fingers come into contact with the wood, I feel a little better. Julian sees me and does the same thing, and Allie follows suit soon after.

There's a strange sound, like a whooshing, but more sinister, and I begin to hear screams. "No," I whisper, instantly recognizing the screams to be my mother and father's. I've heard it enough in my nightmares to know them anywhere. "I know what's out there, and they're coming onto the train."

Julian's eyes widen, and he clutches my arm, trying to get me to focus. Allie begins to shake a little, but she grits her teeth and controls it. She's strong. "Venus," Julian says desperately. "What's on the train?"

I hear the screams get louder, and I close my eyes for a second, calming myself down. I open my eyes, determined to protect my new friends. "Dementors. And they're getting close. Get behind me," I say, gripping my wand tighter and standing up.

"Venus, what the fuck? No!" Allie protests, but I look hard at Julian, and he understands. Slowly, Julian takes her hands and brings her close to him, moving behind me.