Chapter Ten, Part Three - Mind Games

As I slipped back into my stilettos, Nick worked hard to convince me to forget the world and stay another night. He smelled like our shower, his coal-colored hair falling into eyes bright and hard as diamonds. Sitting on the edge of the bed, in yesterday's clothes, he had the memories of us written on his face like Sharpie–three and a half times just wasn't enough.

"I really wish I could stay but I have a shift in, like, four hours. If I quit my day job, I don't eat." Pleased by his disappointment, I smoothed my sex-hair into a bun. "S'not like I'm paid to do this..." Nick stuck his hands in his pockets, sighing in girly disapproval.

Uh-oh. If Drizzy's lyrics had taught me anything, it was how to know when a guy was caught up in his feelings. "Listen, Nick, maybe we should clarify what happened last night..."

But there was really no need. Last night Nick had gone for a dive–and was still floating. The world could put a real ocean between us, and he would still come for me. I could hear the universe whispering, conspiring against us, but he ignored it and took me in his arms anyway. "Scar, I can tell you're not ready to label this--so you don't have to. I like you, and you like me--that's all. Whatever you do with... other guys..." His jaw tightened in meaning as he gave a half-shrug. "Has nothing to do with me."

"Nick, there are no other guys. I mean, there were--but not anymore. I'm sorry, I should have apologized about Finn sooner. You didn't deserve to find out about us the way you did. I swear, if I had known he was your brother, I never would have--"

Nick silenced me with a gentle squeeze. "I believe you--but Finn is a problem. He's just like my family--they'll try anything to keep me away from you. We should strike first, before they do..."

I bit my lip at that devilish gleam in his eyes. "And how would we do that?"

"Every year, my father hosts a company ball. Next weekend, I want you to be my plus one."

My eyes widened. For as long as I had known him, Nick had done his best to keep me out of sight, and I was okay with that--it meant our strings could remain unattached. If I showed up to that ball on his arm... it would change everything.

I stared at the ground, tucking a loose curl behind my ear. "Are you sure that's a good idea? I mean, if your mom finds out about us, or any of this..." I pushed air through my lips, miming a nuclear explosion with my hands.

Nick slipped his fingers through mine. "You're right, if my mother finds out, this all blows up--but she'll expose herself too, and I don't think she's ready for that. Neither is Finn. He has the watch and the diary, he could've taken revenge on our family weeks ago, but he's holding back...

I clacked my tongue ring against my teeth. "Good point. Why would Finn do that?"

"So beautiful, so slow to catch on..." Nicholias smirked when I swatted his arm. "Think about it--Finn wants revenge, but he wants you more. He said it himself, he would never really hurt you. And as for my mother, well, there's nothing she cares about more than her reputation--and everything you know could destroy that. She's not running things... you are." He touched my cheek. "You can do anything, Scarlet."

And what a rush that would be... I smiled, dazzled by enlightenment. Why hide myself from the Dixons... when I can make them run instead?

Ready or not, here I come...

"Nick... you're choosing me over them. Are you sure you can handle that?"