Chapter 30 (Part 2)

Start from the beginning

She deserves to be happy

I forced myself to push those thoughts out of my head. I guess it’s time to move on from her, now that she has moved on from me. Without realizing, little tear drops dripped down to the palm of my hand. Taking one deep breath, I pushed myself up

A loud slam came from downstairs.

3:10pm

Becky’s back from school!

My heart started pounding

“Sweetie, can yo-”

“Not now mom!” her voice yelled

I quickly got out of her room, trying my best not to make a sound but I could hear footsteps coming up.  I didn’t have time to get out, so my only choice was to hide in her bathroom, which is what I did. Her footsteps passed the door, I let out a sigh of relief. Just moments later, a clatter came from her room but I already knew what it is.

I got out of her bathroom already about to leave, Mrs. Springs came up.

“Austin, what was that?”

“Most likely the box.” I replied “Do.. do you think she would maybe want to talk to me or wi-”

Her sincere smile cut me off

“Stay. I’ll do my best to get her to talk to you. You both need it.”

I pulled her into a hug “Thank you”

We let go. I watched her walk into Becky’s room. My legs started pacing as I waited. After minutes of pacing, I decided to listen through the door. I know it’s wrong but I can’t help it.

“You miss him, don’t you?”

Everything fell silent; the only sound is my heavy heartbeat waiting for the answer I want to hear

“N-No, I don’t. I’m p-perfectly fine without him.” She stuttered

My head dropped along with my heart

That’s it Austin. Now you have to move on.

“Sweetie…” Mrs. Springs continued. I know she’s trying her best but maybe it’s better this way.

“No mom really, I’m fine!”

Shuffling came from inside the room then along came another loud clatter. With a little peek in, I saw her.

Her beautiful face, full of tears. Her small, fragile body held in her mom’s arms. I fought the urge to run over there, hold her tight, and kiss her. But I knew it would be wrong.

But what I heard next caught me by surprise.

“I-I miss him mom. I-”

“Ssshhh sweetie calm down. He ca-”

That’s it. This is my chance.

Without thinking what I’m about to do, I opened her door. I must’ve not noticed the tears streaming down my face until I looked into her eyes. My breath got caught in my throat.

Her big, gorgeous brown eyes gazing into mine.

“A-Austin.” She finally said but just barely above a whisper. Her beautiful voice like a melody to me.

“Mrs. Springs, will you please give us a minute?” I asked politely, still not looking away from Becky.

With a small nod, she left.

I watched her closely. The way she’s breathing heavily. The way her eyes are red and puffy. The hard stare she’s giving me.

My fists were in a ball until I released.

“Becky” I started walking towards her but she kept taking a step back. The closer I walked, the farther back she went.

“Becky please.” I begged. She shook her head aggressively

Finally, I pinned her towards a wall. Her once happy, joy filled eyes now in tears and pain.

“P-Please, j-just leave Austin.” She finally said. Her gaze never once looking into mine since we broke.

“You don’t mean that.” I gently grabbed her chin to make her face me. My thumb caressed her cheek, wiping away the tears.

“I-I do.”

I shook my head. With one arm on her waist and my hand on her cheek, I got her attention

“Then look me in the eyes and tell me to leave. Just tell me and I’ll do so. Tell me that you don’t want me, tell me that you no longer have any feelings for me, tell me you no longer love me and I’ll leave you alone completely. Just tell me so I don’t fool myself into thinking we may actually start something we once had.”

Her mouth gaped open to say something, but words never came out.

“Go on, say it.” I urged with little tears forming

“I-I… I can’t.”

---------