Chapter 15

I could feel myself doing my best impression of a deer in headlights as the stranger approached us. Dirty-blond hair, blue eyes... I could feel my stomach clench. Ever since the stabbing incident, I can't stand guys with blue eyes, especially the icy-blue kind, and this guy's eyes were so light-coloured they almost glowed in the dark.

The unfeeling look on the stranger's face told me everything I needed to know - that this guy knew what we were doing, and he knew what he'd do to stop us doing it.

Meanwhile in the corner of my eye, I could see Zeta hauling Kai up from his seat, which made me relax a little. If worst came to the worst, she could run with him... perhaps they could run away together, two robot fugitives on the run? The stranger's eyes followed the androids and his impassive stare became a disgusted sneer.

"Should've known it wouldn't be so easy to keep him here. Call it a hunch, but as soon as that fire alarm went off, I knew something wasn't right. I checked the security cameras, and well... I saw three women running around where they shouldn't be running." The stranger tore his eyes away from the androids and folded his arms, his face returning to an impassive stare. "And before you ask, yes, I've already told other people what's going on. Some are listening in," He gestured to the cameras in the room, "And others'll be coming down in just a minute, so I recommend you all sit tight and not do anything stupid."

I looked over at Kayla and she stared back at me through her curly fringe, looking completely lost. Damn it, Kayla, you're supposed to be the brains, I grumbled internally, then again, she tends to freeze up at confrontations... should've seen it coming. Or maybe she knows this guy?

I glanced over to Zeta, who was carrying Kai bridal-style in her arms, too busy being preoccupied with making sure Kai was alright. He looked fine, other than the whole "not being able to move his limbs" thing. 

I let out a sigh. Looks like it's just me to deal with this sick fuck. "Who the hell are you?" I asked.

He held up his ID card, which was attached to a lanyard. "Michael Langley." He answered. "And I'm assuming none of you are the person on the ID card you used to get in?"

Well, that wasn't true, but the less he knew, the better. "Well, we'd be stupid to tell you our names now." I answered, folding my arms.

"Actually... I think one of them does match the ID card." A new voice answered, stepping out of the shadows. I already knew who it was before they even showed their face - Naomi, the pink-haired girl, the one who'd taken Kai here in the first place. "It doesn't matter how much shit she disguises herself with, I'd recognise her anywhere." Her eyes fell on Kayla. "Kayla Burke. You re-activated your old ID, didn't you?" She looked over at me. "And that's Rina Hart right over there. To be fair, I don't think I would've recognised you under all that, if I hadn't seen you yesterday. Surprised you went this far, really. And I was willing to get you a replacement, seeing as he's still under warranty."

Now Kayla looked like a deer in headlights. I put my hand on her shoulder to reassure her, and she smiled back. She looked over at Naomi, glaring at the pink-haired girl.

"Kayla Burke?" Michael frowned. "I've heard of her. The one that screwed up Project Alpha?" He looked at her up and down.

"I didn't screw it up." Kayla interjected, finding her voice. "You-" And she gestured to Naomi, "And your team didn't check for file integrity issues like I asked you to. That's why he ended up the way he did. Say what you like about me as a person, but don't lie about what I've done for this company, you jealous piece of shit."

Naomi smirked. "You were responsible for watching over his behaviour. Seems to me you didn't react to his changes fast enough."

"Oh, don't give me that shit-"