Chapter 24: Lou Ellen's P.O.V

Today was Halloween and the school day was cancelled for students to get ready and dressed up for the Ball. Students were to dress up in their own Halloween costume and at the moment I only know mine and James's, Riley and Willow didn't tell me theirs yet. The Ball didn't start until 8pm so until then I was going to study to pass the time quicker.

I didn't leave my common room all day and when it finally reached six in the evening, I decided it was time to start getting ready. The costume I had chosen was on the theme of 'Dia de los Muertos' - Day of the dead, and seeming as me and James were technically a couple now, we've chosen to go together in similar costumes. Half of our faces would be painted as skulls and we would be dressed in black. My outfit was a pitch black dress that started to poof out just above my hips, stopping at knee height. The hem of the sweetheart neckline and end of my dress would be lined in blood red roses that matched my slip on flats.Also, tonight I was going to wear my contact lenses that I rarely use so I put my glasses on my bedside table.

Usually, I don't get all excited and into these kind of social events. But now that I had my best friends and dare I say, boyfriend, I was a lot more relaxed with the situation. I smiled while adding the white face paint as I thought about James. I think we've officially come out as a couple the day after we had our first kiss, so yesterday. Riley would not shut up about it the whole day and I think I had to use the Silencio spell seven times on her. Even since I became James's girlfriend, the tingles when he holds my hands never go away and the blush always reappears.

I don't really mind it though.

An hour later and I was finally satisfied with the half skull makeup, only adding a few tweaks to my red eyeshadow and lipstick. I picked up the three white daisies I'd plucked from the courtyard grass earlier and easily transfigured them into the same coloured roses as the ones on my dress. Adding clips to the stems, I slid them into my hair where the parting was. Happy with what I saw in the mirror, I stood up and went over to the dress on my bed. I had another half an hour to spare before James was to arrive outside my common room, the place where we shared our first kiss. I squealed with happiness at the memory.

Taking my time with putting the dress on, I made sure every body part was secure and finally sat down and rested, although making sure I didn't lean on anything to ruin my hair or makeup.

I later looked at the clock at saw it was half past seven which made me put down my book and check that my outfit was up to standards before slipping my wand in a hidden pocket in my dress. Other Hufflepuff students were dressed up in interesting clothing and we're talking to each other as I passed to reach the exit.

As soon as I saw him, my heart fluttered. James was looking as handsome as ever. His half skull face looked rather good, I think he mentioned something about asking Riley to do it for him. He was dressed in a smart suit with small red flowers on his cuffs and suit collar and in his hands was a small bouquet of red roses.

Smiling broadly, he took my hand and said, "You look stunning, Lou."

Surely blushing, I mumbled a thank you, next saying more clearly, "You're not looking too bad yourself, Mister."

He moved forwards and closed in on the space between us, his arms snaking around my back.

I looked up and grinned. "Well hello there."

He chuckled and responded with kissing me firmly. After a moment I broke away and said, "You're being rationed tonight. It took me an hour to do this makeup and I don't want you smudging it straight away!"

Smacking his chest playfully, I grasped his hand and he handed the flowers to hold in my spare hand as we walked along the hallway. Students were either waiting outside common rooms for friends, or like us, were beginning to walk towards to the Great Hall where the Halloween Ball would be based. We talked about each other's days as we walked and eventually we found Riley and Willow outside the entrance to the hall, waiting for us.

I gazed on the two's appearances and was impressed by their choices. Riley had decided to dress up as the Grim Reaper. Her lips and eyeshadow was a dark grey almost black, the dress was a silk, flowing, black, off the shoulder gown with a dark grey cloak and had a realistic looking scythe to go with it.

Willow was dressed in a dark green gown that, at the front, stopped at her knees but continued flowing down to the ground at the back. She wore dark red lipstick and had pale green eyeshadow on with little ivy leaves painted in the corners. She had braided her hair and had little leaves tucked into the braid.

"Err, Willow?"

"Yes James?"

"No offence but what are you?"

"I'm a tree nymph. Now come on, the party won't start till I 'Slytherin'."

Riley snorted at Willows comment and James squeezed my hand as we followed after the two once they walked through the grand doors.