C.24~ An Ember In The Ashes

Start from the beginning

"Beatrice. I thought I knew what love was when I was a kid, when I thought that my world would be destroyed by Mae dying. But then we got paired up for that ridiculously stupid project and I actually liked hanging out with you. And when I found the baby on the door step, it was a God send. It was God finally telling me that I could have a chance to live, that I deserved a little happiness." I could feel my breath catch in my throat as Xaiver brushed his thumb under my eye, wiping away a tear that threatened to escape it.

"The way I look at it, life is like a snake waiting to strike, waiting for

when you're at your weakest point to finally break you down until you can find the courage to finally pick yourself back up again." He leaned forward so our forehead's were touching, "You gave me that courage Bea, you were my saving grace."

**

I don't know how long I sat in the room with Lily before there was a knock at the door. I was about to get up when Xaiver walked in and sat down in front of me. Lily, upon seeing him, crawled away from me and toward him.

"They're transferring Mae to a hospital in Denver." He whispered, letting out a shaky breath. I looked up, surprised.

"That isn't that far." I said quietly.

"It's far enough. They. . . they said her health keeps declining. I don't know what to do, Bea. I thought I'd be prepared for this by now, I thought I'd be able to handle it if she went." He shut his eyes, his chest heaving up and down slowly as Lily tugged on his hand. My vision began to blur as I looked down at my hands, not knowing how to respond.

"Can you change Lily?" I finally whispered, "I want to go out for dinner tonight." He stood up slowly, picking her up with him. She tried tugging on his ear, but he only smiled and pulled her away.

"Of course." He walked out of the room and toward my mom's where I had to keep all of Lily's baby clothes. I stood up once I knew he was gone and walked over to stare out my window, at the dead leaves rustling around. I finally laid my head against the window seal and let my eyes drift toward the blue sky.

"Look, God. I've seen all those cheesy and unrealistic Hallmark movies, the ones where the child's life is saved after someone prays. Maybe that's all crap, but maybe there's a slight chance that it might be real." I said quietly.

"I don't ask for a lot, I never have. And maybe sometimes I felt like you weren't there. But please, if you are listening, if you are there, don't take Mae away from us. I won't ever ask you for anything again, I won't ever question your existence if you do. Please, God. Please don't take her away."

We had finally decided on pizzeria after a few hours of talking. Once we got there, Lily was wide awake and trying to reach for everything in sight.

"She gets her curiosity from you." I accused, pointing at Xaiver with my pizza. He reached over and squeezed Lily's cheek, nodding.

"Oh yeah? You here that, Lily? Mommy's picking on us." He gave Lily a playful look. She giggled and took his outstretched hand, her eyes full of curiosity.

"Excuse me." Xaiver said as he reached into his pocket, I didn't understand why until I heard it vibrating in his hand as he pulled it out. He grabbed a bread stick and answered the phone.

"Mom?" He said, his eyebrows drawing in worry. My own heart had kick started.

"What do you mean? Is she okay? Mom? Dammit!" Xaiver slammed his phone against the table, his eyes almost black. After a second of cooling down he finally met my eyes and stood up.

"We have to get to the hospital. My mom said they called her down there." He took the handles of the stroller and pushed Lily over to the counter to pay. I stood up slowly, my eyes pooling with tears. Something had happened to Mae, something big.

"Come on." Xaiver took my hand on the way out the door, swerving the stroller to avoid a young couple walking passed us. He didn't even give me a chance to say anything as he strapped Lily into her car seat and tossed the stroller into the trunk.

"Get in, Bea." He growled, walking around to the drivers side. I slid in, pulling my seat belt on quickly as he started the car and pulled away from the restaurant as quick and careful as possible.

"Xai. . ."

"Don't talk. I don't want to snap at you." He hissed through his teeth. So I kept my mouth shut and let him drive. It took about twenty minutes to get to the hospital, and about five for us to get Lily out and get to the front doors. My eyes immediately found Mr. and Mrs. Morgan. They were sitting in the waiting room, Mrs. Morgan's face was buried in her hands.

"Mom! Dad!" Xaiver gasped, jogging over to them. I pushed Lily in the stroller slowly, hesitant on approaching the Morgans.

". . . don't know. It's a miracle. A miracle, I'm telling you!" Mr. Morgan was saying as he pulled his son into a hug. I blinked in confusion, my eyes drifting toward Mrs. Morgan.

"What's going on? Is Mae all right?" I asked. She sniffled and stood up, a grin breaking out across her face.

"It's gone, Beatrice." What was gone? The cancer?

"What's gone?" Before she could respond Mr. Morgan interrupted, his own eyes glistening with tears.

"It's a miracle. They took her into the examine room today, she's healthy. It's gone, Beatrice. The cancer, it's gone!"

***AN***

*Edited*

Thoughts?

Let me hear them! 

~ChasingMadness24