C.19~ Christmas Lights And Family Fights

"No! Screw that! You aren't ruining Christmas for her, do you understand me?" Xavier snarled.

"You aren't her father, Xavier. You don't have any say. . ."

"I have plenty of say, Mom. You can't take Christmas away from her." My eyes flickered back and forth between Xavier and Mrs. Morgan as I held a sleeping Lily in my arms. How was she even able to sleep when they were screaming? I bet Mae could probably even here them through the glass from where she sat in the middle of her bed.

"Xai, I'm sorry, baby. But we have to do it." We all slowly turned to look at Mae through the hospital window, she was holding her hair in her hands, tears rolling down her cheeks.

"We're cutting it now so she doesn't have to see it fall out again." Xavier had told me when we got here, explaining that she had gone through chemo when she was seven.

"Mom." Xavier's voice was strained, "Please don't do this right now." He tried one last time to plead with his mother. I laid my hand on Xavier's bicep, shaking my head. It was no use, his parents had already ordered the doctors to put Mae through chemo.

"I want to talk to her." I whispered before Mrs. Morgan could yell at her son again, "Can you take Lily?" I asked Xavier, holding her out in front of me. He took her from me, sighing when he saw how deep of a sleep she was in.

"I wish I could sleep like you." He said, kissing her forehead. I slipped passed him and pushed the door to Mae's room open. A nurse was sitting at the edge of her bed, preparing her scissors.

"Bea!" Mae gasped, "You came?" She started bouncing up and down to the dismay of the nurse. I smiled and joined her on the bed.

"Of course I came." I replied, pushing her bangs out of her eyes.

"They're cutting it. All of it." She whispered, dropping her head.

"You'll still be beautiful." I assured her, squeezing her hand, "You'll always be beautiful." I was about to go on but the nurse made a gesture for me to move. Mae stared at the scissors in terror as she reached up and grabbed her thick brown hair in her hands.

Her hazel eyes were glistening with tears, her lips quivering.

"Cut my hair too." I blurted before I could stop myself. The nurse frowned and stared at me.

"What?" She asked. I grabbed my long brown hair in my hands, showing her how much I wanted her to cut.

"A little above my shoulders." I said, giving the nurse a look that I hope she understood, "I'm tired of it being so long anyway." I waved my hand as if it didn't mean anything to me. Mae was shaking her head, gripping my hand.

If me cutting my hair would help the poor ten year old beside me, then so be it. I hated seeing her cry and have to go through this in the first place, I felt the need to help in any way I could.

"You don't have to do that, Bea. Your hair is so pretty! Don't cut it!" I smiled reassuringly at her.

"It's fine. It'll grow back. I want you to feel more comfortable." I leaned forward and whispered, "And to be completely honest, it's a hassle keeping my hair this long." A smile tugged at her lips as the nurse made her way around the bed and sat behind me, taking my hair in her hands.

"Are you sure about this, darling?" The woman asked. I nodded, still smiling at Mae. She was still shaking her head, her eyes filled with tears.

"Yes." Tears were starting to sting my eyes, "Yes, I'm sure. You can cut it."