Chapter 5: Vairi

Vairi went straight from the clan house in Avelina, back to Charlesville, where she ventured into the marketplace.

She felt an unexplainable relief that she had Damian's permission to seek her revenge upon Bart and leave Charlesville never to return, without fear of repercussions. She had worried that, by asking his permission, he wouldn't let her leave the clan house. She would either remain a prisoner or be killed and her love wouldn't know her fate. He would stray into the unforgiving community and face death, if anyone knew they loved each other.

It had been such a heavy burden upon her that she felt the first signs of freedom entering her mind, now that she knew she could get revenge upon Bart and not have to fear for her life.

With that happy thought, she posted a few letters, including the letter to her love, in the village post office, before taking a leisurely walk through the market stalls to buy supplies. She was going to need lots of human food and comforts for her next task, which she hoped would go off without a hitch.

The only problem she could foresee was getting people to venture onto Purgatory Island, especially after her show of 'mystical' unfriendly ghosts. But she had considered everything.

The very notion of seeing inside the Trevelyan house, seeing Purgatory Island up close and meeting the mysterious new woman in the village, would be more than enough to convince the locals to risk the dangers. After all, Charlesville lived for gossip.

The problem was that she was making more of an impression than she had planned to. From almost the moment she left the post office, the villagers began whispering amongst themselves. Initially, Vairi thought they were gossiping about her, but then she overheard one woman and realized that her secret plan had been foiled. The three letters she had posted to the richest families in Charlesville; the Dobrev's, Steele's and the Curtis family; had been discovered.

"They've been invited to spend a weekend at the Trevelyan house with that stranger," one said.

"You wouldn't catch me going, I'll tell you that now," others claimed, whilst some felt completely looked over.

"I don't see why it's got to be the rich folk. We're just as good as them you know," one woman claimed, practically shouting the words to Vairi as she walked past the fruit stall.

She had hoped their invitations would remain a secret, at least until that weekend, when they were due to stay. But, though she had sealed her envelopes, the post office no longer cared about privacy.

Vairi decided there and then that she wouldn't let the nosy nature of the Charlesville villagers get her down. Her plans were still perfectly safe.

Since the sight of her name would be an unfriendly reminder of events from five years ago, the gossip might actually encourage the families to accept her invitation, out of pure social standing and spite.

Anything that made them attend was just fine with her, so she ignored the gossiping and went about her shopping, holding the letter in her hand that had been sent to the post office for her.

She hadn't expected to hear from her soul mate so soon. But she knew that any news at all, even a short note of longing, was better than nothing. She couldn't wait to open it and see what he had to say. But she would wait until she was back home. The last thing she wanted was to give the villagers anything more to gossip about before the time was right.

She kept it held firmly in her hand whilst she ventured from stall to stall, buying produce and a few decorative items for the house that suited her taste.

It was over an hour later when she walked back to her small boat and rowed across to Purgatory Island and the peacefulness of her home. She had managed to find a young girl, barely eighteen, lingering behind the stalls. She had offered to help Vairi carry her groceries to the boat.