Chapter 4: Vairi

Vairi went straight from the dock to Avelina, walking from Charlesville to the home of her people, without even thinking about the distance that lay between the two villages. It took barely more than an hour.

On the way, she healed the self-inflicted wounds she had created to convince the villagers that it was the Island and not the people on it that were evil. The villagers had looked at her in such shock and pity that she knew, no matter what happened after that moment, every bad thing that happened on Purgatory Island would be blamed on evil spirits.

But laying the foundations was one thing. Making sure her plan would go off without a hitch and that the local vampire community wouldn't punish her for risking exposure of their kind was quite another. She had heard of the leniency and understanding of the clan master, Damian, on her travels into the country. But she wondered if they were just stories to trick foreign travellers or if he really would understand her situation.

When Vairi reached the outside gates of the clan house, the largest house in Avelina, she found that they were bolted shut. Yet, instead of having to find a way inside, the front double doors of the house opened, just moments after she stopped in front of the gate. She watched as the young man, who looked like he was wearing some sort of soldier's uniform, stepped up to the gate to unlock the bolts. He bowed as he invited her to step onto the grounds.

"The mistress saw you approach. We have been awaiting your arrival. Please follow me," the soldier explained, intriguing Vairi.

She followed the soldier inside the gates, waited and watched as he secured the lock behind her and followed him inside the clan house.

Though the outside was built with large sandy coloured stones, she had expected the inside to be dark and private, a little depressing even. In reality, it was beautiful. The walls of the large hallway were decorated with light cream paint, with the occasional golden floral design. The ceiling was painted a sky blue, with imitation clouds and the floor was such a beautiful, solid black marble that she wondered at the opulence of the house, in times of financial struggle everywhere else in the world.

Vairi kept quiet and followed the soldier through the beautiful hallway and over to double doors of solid oak. He knocked and entered at the sound of a beckoning voice.

"The lady, Master," He bowed and left her alone in the room, with two people she had never met before. There was a circular table, big enough to fit two dozen people, and a small study area at the back right hand side of the room. The whole room was flooded with light, from all directions. There were floor to ceiling windows every few feet around the circular room, illuminating the two figures who sat before her as though with whole body halos.

"Sit down dear," the woman offered.

Vairi stepped into the room and tried to decide if she should sit at the complete opposite end of the table from them or closer so that they could talk without shouting at each other. In the end, she ventured just a few seats away from Damian and Kaitlin, sitting down nervously.

"My name is Vairi," she introduced herself.

"I am Kaitlin and this is my husband Damian," the regal lady replied, gesturing to the man beside her.

He smiled and nodded hello.

Vairi felt positively common next to such a beautiful woman, but ducked her head in a hello and kept quiet. She was too stunned by their acceptance of her to think of where to start.

"One of our soldiers heard of your arrival and warned us," the woman continued. She must be the Kaitlin everyone spoke of. The Master's wife and the only woman who had ever held equal status to the vampire Master of a clan, since their existence began. "Have you had to travel far? Are you hungry? We could prepare a bed for you, if you like?" she wondered.