Chapter 21: Savannah

It had taken Savannah quite a while to stop thinking about Bran. At first, when he left for a visit to Purgatory Island, she had been convinced he would write to her as he promised. But after two days, she finally gave up hope and moved on.

It wasn't difficult; she was still a flighty teenager despite her age. Soon enough, confining herself to the clan house so she didn't make Tegen's mistake and become too interested in human men, she found herself noticing a young man in the vampire army, Sarus.

He had been standing guard outside Kaitlin and Damian's chambers for a few hours when she first met him. She had tried to see her grandmother only to be refused.

"I am sorry, miss, but without knowing what has ailed the lady, the master does not want any other than the witch woman and the nurse in the room. We cannot have any more people getting sick," he explained, barely moving from his post, standing tall and rigid in front of the door. As if no one would move him.

Savannah wasn't insulted by his refusal to admit her, as she might have been with someone else. For some reason, she found the way Sarus spoke his orders to be in the most loyal, sweet and caring manner she had ever heard from a soldier.

"Then may you tell me where my grandfather is?" she wondered, fluttering her eyelashes and holding her hands behind her back as she rocked on her heels playfully, hoping to catch his attention.

Momentarily, it worked. Sarus couldn't help the slight turn of his head as he looked at her curiously.

Savannah attempted to clinch the deal with a warm smile, but it only made Sarus clear his throat and return his head to his command position.

"You will find your grandfather in his study. He has much business to settle," He spoke with a monotone that tried desperately not to betray his emotions at that time. But it was too late.

All the hope Savannah needed was in the slight turn of his head and the curiously approving look he had unconsciously given her. She wandered off with a smile, glancing back to find that Sarus was watching her leave the hallway.

When she caught him looking, his head snapped back to stare at the wall ahead of him, as if he didn't want to be caught looking at her.

It was more than enough for her work on. He was interested, he found her attractive and, to her utter surprise, she found him very attractive himself. Not to mention funny, sweet and very cute in his military manner. He was perfect in a way that she had never known any other man to be, not even the wonderful Bran.

Savannah decided, there and then, as she descended to her grandfather's study, that she would do whatever it took to make Sarus love her. She wanted to be united with him and she was sure he wanted the same, but was afraid to admit it. She could make anyone talk and admit to their deepest darkest secrets. It had always been a gift of hers, though she had no real vampire gifts to speak of, other than kindness. But that wouldn't get her what she wanted so she would have to be sneaky and resourceful.

Her first plan of attack was to speak to Damian. She was admitted to his study after an unusually long wait outside the door, but when she advanced to the seat before his desk, she realized that he looked paler than usual.

"Grandfather, are you all right?" she wondered, making Damian smile and nod quietly as he composed himself. "How is grandmother?" Savannah ventured into the unknown, somehow knowing that he was worried and afraid, but that he might need someone to talk to, despite his position of power. If she could, she wanted to be there for him in the way that he had always been there for her when she needed him.

"There is nothing we can do. I am afraid that, until we know what is wrong with her, she may never recover," Damian explained, with such a deep sorrow in his eyes, that she had never seen before.

"I'm very sorry. I know how much you love her," Savannah apologized, feeling very stupid for the reason she come to see him. But because she had already got his far and he looked so upset, she thought it might take both their minds from the days sadness, to discuss her new affection for Sarus and the possibilities it might bring.

"Speaking of love...grandfather, would it be too bold to ask you a question?" she asked, waiting for his approval.

"It would take my mind off things," he promised, as though he knew that she felt wrong for trespassing on his sadness.

"You see, I just saw Sarus, up at grandmothers room and he's so wonderful and sweet and charming. I felt something when I saw him," Savannah revealed, hoping she made sense. "I'm not sure why it's different to every other time I see him, but it was. I think I love him," she confessed softly, smiling in the hope that Damian would understand and grant her his wisdom on the matter.

When he laughed at the news, she managed a faint smile of recognition. Just days ago she had been sure she was in love with the gardener, Norman and, though she hadn't told her grandfather, she'd also thought she loved Bran for a time. She fell in and out of love more often than his grandchildren found themselves in trouble, but she accepted that failing, within herself.

"Savannah, do not be offended," he asked, as he stopped laughing. "but you have loved many men in your life, all within moments of meeting them. How do you think this new affection for Sarus is any different?" he wondered, smiling so warmly that she felt no embarrassment or anger with him. She knew he would never hurt her.

"It hurts this time. In my heart," she answered, honestly. "Because I can see that he is attracted to me, but he seems to me refusing to accept it. Instead, he prefers to pretend that the feeling isn't there," Savannah put her hand to her heart and looked at his desk thoughtfully, while she spoke.

"Perhaps he is as afraid as I am, that it is a fleeting love and not the real thing?" Damian posited, with a look of hope. "Perhaps he is afraid to admit to loving you in case you change your mind and break his heart?"

Damian's words gave her such hope.

If she had seen a look of attraction from Sarus, she had to be right. She wasn't often wrong. But Sarus was a very serious man, a soldier as well and he wouldn't settle for a love that was fleeting rather than stable and solid. He had waited a long time, since becoming a vampire and he had never once taken or indicated that he would take a wife, maybe he had been waiting for Savannah?

"Oh. I hadn't thought of that. I have been quite childish in the past, haven't I?" She sighed to herself deeply.

Savannah went quiet for a moment, before venturing to speak again, this time looking up at her grandfather and speaking with a conviction. She really was trying to figure it out properly and be more grown up.

"I don't think I am now. I think maybe..." she hesitated, in case he would be angry with her. "I met a man in the market place. I thought I loved him. He talked to me and it felt as though we were friends for a while. He told me things about love and about myself that I never knew," she explained.

"I think I love Sarus because of him. Because he's shown me that I can be different and want different things without changing who I am," she explained, wondering if she had always loved Sarus, but just been too ignorant of real feelings to see it before. It would certainly explain why she now knew, so definitely, that she wanted to be with him and be united with him. It wasn't as if she had never noticed him before.

"You certainly speak much wiser than you ever have. So I will trust you, Savannah," Damian said, sparking a fire within her heart. "If you believe that Sarus is the one you love and will always love, tell him so. Tell him of your discussions with this market man and how you have changed. I trust you to make the right decision for your life," he advised.

"But...even if I do that, he still might not admit that he loves me," she admitted.

"Then come to me. I shall speak with him and see where his heart lies," he promised, making Savannah smile as she got to her feet.

"Thank you grandfather. I will take your advice and not put it to waste," she promised. "Please, do not despair over grandmother. The whole clan will care for her until her recovery. You have no need to fear losing her," She smiled at him.