Part 30 : No Strings Attached

Start from the beginning

Our eyes interlocked for a few seconds before she turned away and took her seat at the opposite end of the table, next to various other gentlemen of the board, instead of her usual seat on the right hand side of me.

Anything to defy me, Kimberley.

My body ached for her. I longed to hold her in my arms again, to feel her against me, to push that dress off her shoulders, to lower her onto the desk and... damn it Alonso, watch your train of thought.

"Ladies... gentlemen," I smiled, "Before we begin, if you don't mind, I would like a word with my wife. In private."

Kimberley looked up at me, startled, her green eyes wavering, her wedding ring sparkling under the light as she clutched her glass of water, it was shaking in her hands, I spotted the pulsating vein in her head as she clenched her jaw.

Everyone was attempting to avert their eyes, sensing the tension in the room. Kimberley, ever the professional cut-throat lawyer, gathered herself quickly and shot back.

"And of what relevance would this 'word' be?"

She glared at me.

I stood up, walking towards her end of the table with a predatory gait. I smirked, "Whatever you want it to be." I leered

One of the female members of the board visibly gasped, covering her hand with her mouth.

"Oh, don't be so ridiculous Riccardo!" she scoffed

I leant down, grabbing her arm, "Private." I hissed.

"Fine." she stood and followed me out of the room towards my office.

I strode down the corridor until I reached the office. I grabbed my wife's arm and pulled her inside, locking the door behind me.

"What the hell is this all about Riccardo? You say jump and I say how high? Because that's not how this is going to go, trust me."

I leant back on the desk, folding my arms, "Damn it Kimberley, you look sexy as hell."

She blushed, a chink in her armour, before standing up straight, "We're not... we're not here to discuss what I look like Riccardo, we're here to talk about us... you and me. So if you're not prepared for that, I may as well just leave."

"Look, Kim... I miss you okay, I want you back, I'm sorry."

"Oh for God's sake Riccardo, change the f***ing tune! You sound like a broken record! I admit I've been pretty spineless in the past, particularly when it comes down to you. I've forgive you for all of your mistakes, mostly your need to jump back into bed with that wh*re of an ex-wife of yours, but I'm a woman, and I would be nothing without some semblance of strength and most of all class. So stop with the "I'm sorry" Riccardo, because I've had enough sorry to last me an entire lifetime. I've told you that already."

I sighed, "Kimberley, you're making this difficult. You're my wife and I love you, more than anything else in the world in fact. Yes, I've made some pretty sh*tty mistakes. But I'm learning Kim. I know that's no kind of excuse and I've been an awful husband to you, but I can change. I can change for you Kimberley. I'll give up all of that sh*t for you. I want you back, I want my Mrs. Alonso, but I can understand... if you... want a... divorce..."

Suddenly, she burst out laughing.

"A DIVORCE? YOU THINK I'VE COME HERE TO ASK YOU FOR A DIVORCE?! THAT'S SERIOUSLY WHAT YOU THOUGHT?"

I flustered, "Well... yes... what... yes that's what I—-"

She cut me off mid-sentence, placing her hands on my shoulders, "Oh honey, that's the last thing I want from you! See, Riccardo... you're... how do I put this? You're an investment, and I sure as hell have invested a lot into you. It wouldn't make sense for me to pull out now and lose my return..." she purred.

"What?" I was confused, "What do you mean?"

"What I mean, my handsome. Sexy. Husband." she punctuated every word with a kiss to my neck, "Is that, you see, I rather like this little venture I've embarked upon and I'd like to keep it going, at least for a while longer. But trust me, Riccardo, if I see anything that makes me even remotely think I'm going to lose out, I'll be more than happy to withdraw my investment, with interest on top, and trust me, baby, it will be the most bloodthirsty thing you ever see. Okay?" she smiled.

I grinned, if there were two people in the world that could play this game it would be Kimberley and I.

I pulled her closer to my body, my lips a fraction of a centimetre away from hers, "Well Mrs Alonso, I think you've got yourself a deal. Do I sign on the dotted line?"

She grasped my hair and pulled my lips down to meet hers. We kissed passionately, Kimberley returning what I was giving with equal fervour before we both pulled away panting for breath.

"F**k you Riccardo..." she hit my chest, falling against me.

I laughed, "God damn it Kimberley, I've missed that mouth."

"I've missed yours too," she breathed, "Put it on me. Everywhere."

I chuckled, kissing her forehead, "So you're keeping the baby?"

She frowned, "How did you—"

"I'm your husband Kimberley. Don't ever think I don't know you."

She sighed, placing her hand on my stomach, "It's the right thing to do isn't it Rick? I am doing the right thing? I won't be a terrible mother, will I?"

"I think you'll make the best damn mother ever." I vowed.

Her eyes filled with tears and I pressed my thumb pads against her cheeks to catch them before they fell.

"Hey, hey... stop with the waterworks you..." I sighed.

"Rick, I'm so sorry, about everything." she sobbed, "I know I've said some awful things..."

"Shhh..." I ran my finger over her lip which she kissed softly, "I've done some awful things, Kimberley. It's me, not you, I realise how cliché that sounds, but it's me Kim, everything I've ever done, everything that's hurt you. I'm truly sorry Kim, I know you said that wasn't what you wanted to hear, but I couldn't be sorrier. I've worked it out this time. I'm changing Kimberley, and it's going to be better I swear it. For you, for us, for the baby..."

She hooked her hands around my neck and kissed my cheek and I held her in my arms.

I loved her so much. I would die for her; I would do anything for her. She was my world.

And now, my world was complete

With her.

With Kimberley.

***********************************************************

FINALLY I'VE BEEN ABLE TO UPLOAD THIS CHAPTER! THANKS FOR YOUR PATIENCE!