Sienna - CHAPTER THREE

Sienna leaned over the safety rail of their cart on the Ferris wheel to peer at the shrieking teenagers on the rollercoaster. Clearly, the ride was a hit.

The Ferris wheel came to a stop to board more people and their cart dangled above, offering the best view of Rapid Falls.

Well-known for its production of ice wine, nestled at the foot of the mountains and surrounded by vineyards, forests and rivers, the small town had been her family’s home for generations.

The cart rocked as Sarah pointed to a flicker of lights in the distance. “I’ve always loved seeing our house from up here. It looks so peaceful.”

“It is peaceful. Most of the time.”

Sienna studied the soft glow that signalled the Bennett Estate.

The huge mansion, surrounded by a thick wall of forests, was home to two witches and four Keepers.

An odd combination but they were her family and best friends.

Everything dear in the world to her. Her familiars.

“You’re way too moody,” Sarah teased, elbowing her. “Tonight’s supposed to be fun.”

Between her magical blunder and the eerie experience in the hall of mirrors, it had been anything but.

Sarah settled dark blue eyes onto her, her expression sobering.

“You’ve been acting weird ever since you finished your shift.

Everything okay?”

Sienna shrugged, reluctant to recall the creepy face that had left behind a growing sense of unease.

Sarah poked her on the arm. “We agreed that for one night, we’d shelve the worry over all the animal attacks that have happened lately and simply have fun.”

“Bit hard to do when we both know they weren’t animal attacks.”

“I know.” Sarah’s mood shifted and she sighed. “So are you going to tell me what’s worrying you?”

Knowing she wouldn’t be able to shrug off her friend, Sienna agreed with a brief nod. “There was some kid that pulled a Rocky Horror Show on me with the mirrors and it creeped me out.”

“What kid?”

“I don’t know. He was wearing a skeleton mask or something. It was dark and confusing as the lights went out and I was alone.”

“Alone? Where were the others?”

“A lull between the groups I suppose. I thought it was weird too.”

“Are you sure it was a kid?”

“Who else would get some sort of sick satisfaction at scaring me? Unless it was Declan messing around.”

But she knew it wasn’t. Although Declan was as devoted to protecting Sienna as her other three Keepers, he still loved teasing her – but the stunt in the hall went beyond that.

“No,” Sarah said, shaking her head. “Declan’s been at the beer tent this whole time.”

Their gazes met and they stared at each other in a knowing silence.

“You’re thinking it was one of the Brogan brothers?” Sienna said, trying to ignore the tug of worry that licked at her gut.

Too late. The mention of the two warlock brothers had slashed the last of her determination to have a worry-free night. Dammit.

“We suspected they’d show up soon.” Sarah’s brows drew together in a delicate frown. “I’m surprised they’d go after you with your Keepers nearby.”