Chapter 4: Good Things Come to Those Who Wait

Once Blake and I were in the room together, we started talking. Or at least I started talking. Blake just stood there, smiling. “I’m sorry for comparing you to a child, but I didn’t mean it that way. I just meant that you aren’t as strong as us, so we need…” I babbled for a few seconds, but then Blake stopped me. He put his index finger on my mouth, to get me to listen to what he was about to say.

“I know what you meant now. I’m sorry for overreacting, but I don’t really like it when people say they’re “babysitting” me. There’s one more thing I want to tell you.” Blake moved closer to me. He was about six inches from my face; I could hear him breathing. Blake closed his eyes and leaned forward. All of a sudden, he moved ten inches back. Did I have bad breath?

Drakko and Ebony came into the room. I was really aggravated, and Blake looked like he was too.

 “I’m sorry, did we interrupt something? Not that I’m concerned, I couldn’t care less about any of you losers. Anyway, I need to talk to Blake. So if the little tramp would get out of my way that would be fantastic. Alright?” What did she just call me? I could just kill her right now. As my arm rose to punch her in the face, Blake pushed my fist down.

“Excuse me? I asked you to move out of my way, it would be best if you did what I asked. Get out.” Ebony was aggressive in her tone, it irritated me.

“I think it would be even better if you shut your mouth, because I don’t give a crap about what you want. If you think your little act works on me, you’re an idiot.” I retorted back at Ebony. I refused to move. Ebony’s face made me smirk. It felt fantastic. Blake put his hand over his mouth to hold back a laugh. Even Drakko smiled a little.

Ebony’s eyes turned bright red, like the color of a fire truck. She looked pissed, not that I cared. Somewhere inside my head I knew that I would regret what I said, but right now I was enjoying it.

Suddenly, Blake moved in front of me and I saw a flash of light come towards him. He yelled in pain, and Ebony snickered. I realized that she had aimed that at me, but Blake shielded me from the shot.

Blake’s arm was bleeding vigorously; he had a huge cut on his upper left arm. I rushed towards him to help him. Ebony went out of the room, with Drakko following, as always. Drakko was like a puppy, chasing its owner. Drakko mouthed the words “I’m sorry,” as he was leaving. I was enraged that Drakko would let Ebony hurt Blake.

Blake had gotten hurt too many times because of me. If I had just kept my mouth shut none of this would’ve happened. Blake lay in my arms, in pain, because of me. How could I have let this happen? I knew that Ebony was a hazard with a really bad temper. I knew that she could kill any of us if she wanted to. Doubtful thoughts crossed my mind.

I lay Blake down on my bed and ran to the nearest sink to get water to rinse the wound in. When I had come back, he was still hurting, and seeing his pained face almost brought tears to my eyes. I remembered that ice packs helped injuries, so I got one and placed it on Blake’s arm.

“Thank you,” Blake whispered. “Thank you for helping me.” He almost smiled, and it brought me joy. He smiled at me.

“It’s my fault. If I’d kept my big mouth shut none of this would’ve happened. All these wounds I’ve helped you heal are wounds that I’ve given you. It’s horrible, but it’s the truth. I’ve never meant to hurt you, but whenever we’re together, bad things happen; the bite, your arm. It’s all my f…”

Blake kissed me unexpectedly. His lips met mine and it was amazing.

Blake had one hand holding mine, and the other on my neck. Then, he put both of his hands on my face, stroking my cheekbones.