Chapter 30 Farewells and a Happy Birthday

This chapter was originally meant to be 3 chapters... until I realised how ridiculous it was having 3 short chapters when I could just have 1!

I actually quite like how this chapter turned out, considering I wrote it on an aeroplane and I'm petrified on aeroplanes! I guess it was a good way to take my mind off things...

OOOH I forgot (only came to my attention a few hours ago when I was re-reading the last few chapters), I COMPLETELY forgot Luna got captured, and I added her in the last chapter :S I'm actually incredibly surprised none of you awesome and genius people picked up on it! I'll remember to change that when I get some time :D

ENJOY!

Chapter 30 Farewells and a Happy Birthday

The Term two holidays were quickly approaching, and my father had made plans with McGonagall to pick me up early from her office by Floo powder for a reason unknown to me.

The morning of the first of April was fresh and windy. The wind had a definite bite to it, forcing us all to either stay inside or be weighed down by heavy coats.

"You're leaving today, right?" asked Neville as we met each other in the common room.

"I think so," I replied. "But why my dad wants to pick me up early, I have no idea. The only reason I can think of is because it's Fred and George's birthday today, but surely we wouldn't bring me home for that. I mean, we never went home when it was their birthday before, so why should I now?"

Neville shrugged. "Maybe they've planned a holiday or something?" I shrugged as well, but I knew it wasn't that. We didn't have enough money to go on a holiday, especially these days when Dad's pay at work had gone down as he became less important in the Ministry to the Death Eaters.

"I'll come with you," Neville said, taking my heavy trunk off me. "I want to go to the owlery - Seamus told me an owl dropped a letter off for me after we left the Great Hall yesterday, and he hid it with his owl." No stray letters were safe from the prying eyes of the Death Eaters, so we all helped each other keep letters private.

We walked to McGonagall's office in a comfortable silence. Most students were probably still sleeping or in their common rooms. Dad wanted to pick me up at a time nobody would notice me missing, especially the Carrows and Snape.

"Well, I'll see you next term, Gin," Neville said, waving slightly. I smiled and took my trunk off him, saying my goodbyes.

"Miss Weasley," McGonagall greeted in her usual stern voice. Because of the early hour, her hair was slightly messier than usual and her eyes were red with tiredness.

"Good morning Professor McGonagall," I responded politely.

"Have a seat, your father should be here any minute now."

I perched on the edge of a scratchy red sofa and bounced my knees. The silence was uncomfortable, and McGonagall soon stopped standing around and began shuffling through papers on her desk. I quietly clicked my tongue and thought of what we would do in the holidays. I was greatly anticipating them.

The fire suddenly burned green and enlarged, and my father stepped out, brushing the soot and ash off his robes.

"Dad!" I exclaimed loudly, hugging him tightly.

"Goodness Gin, gave me a heart attack!" he said, breathing heavily but smiling nonetheless. "Wow, Hogwarts really has changed."

I looked around the room, wondering what could make him feel like that just being in McGonagall's - who wasn't a bad teacher or person in the slightest - office. I noticed  that the atmosphere in Hogwarts had changed from a cheery and light feeling to a heavy and darker one. I was just too used to the feeling to realise.