Chapter 11 - Mrs. Dragneel

On Sunday I walk out of my own house with new scratches and bruises. My father came home very drunk and had abused me almost the whole night. But I pulled through. I wanted to go see Natsu. I wanted to ask him what was the matter and why he ran off on Friday. Unlike any other day, I limped with motivation to his house. 

When I got there, not he nor his father were there. A slip of paper fell out of the door when I tried opening it. It had a hospital article on it, covering the whole brochure. That must be where they are! I thought. So I got on Natsu's red bike with flames all over it and started biking to the hospital even though it hurt so much. I had to get there. Why would they be at the hospital anyway?

I walked through the sliding glass doors that lead to the hospital entrance. Magnolia hospital wasn't that big, so it wasn't really split into buildings which made it easier to find them. I went up to the 7th level, hoping to see him there because it was my lucky number. And I did. I stepped through the elevator doors, only to be between glass with the lobby and the hall. 

Natsu sat there, face in hands, gripping his hair tight. Igneel wasn't there with him and he looked like he could use some comfort. I pushed open the glass door and stepped into the lobby. Natsu didn't look up. I walked across the room, and midway through I saw a familiar white-headed girl sit down next to him and pat his back. 

She saw me and lifted up Natsu's head, then started to kiss him rapidly. As Natsu's protector, I felt like I could scream. No, it felt like my insides were bursting open. I can't really describe the feeling. I was just mad, sad, and felt terrible. After all of the things I had done to get here, it just backfired. However, I stood my ground and walked towards him and tapped him on the shoulder while he was halfway making out with Lisanna. 

He looks back, pulling away and the look on his face is priceless. Red lipstick stains on his mouth, sweat trickling down his face, and shocked that I was here. If I didn't feel this way, I swear I would laugh. A smile threatens to go across my face, but I force it away. And I see his father come into the room. 

"Lucy..." He says, also shocked. "What happened?" I ask him, and walk forward then am tripped by someone. I could've sworn it was Lisanna, but when I look up Natsu glares at me, and his shoe was the one stuck out. I give him a questioning look, then look back at Igneel. "You shouldn't be here." He says with no emotion. Natsu runs into the room on the other side of the room, the room for patients

"Where's Natsu going?" I ask, trying to get by Igneel. "Lucy, go away. You heard Mr. Dragneel." Says Lisanna in a snobby tone. But I break through Mr. Dragneel's grasp and through the door, and to the curtain that pink hair was coming from. I swish it open only to wish so bad that I hadn't. 

There was Mrs. Dragneel, pale as a ghost, stroking Natsu's head as he laid on her lap. I stood there, frozen. "No, you don't mean..." I say, my voice shaky. "Lucy." She says in her beautiful breathless voice. Tears come to my eyes, almost falling. "Come here darling, I haven't seen you for a long time." She says and reaches her boney hand in my direction. 

I take it. 

"Mom, don't waste your energy." Natsu says harshly. "She's nothing but a piece of trash that belongs inside the incinerator." He adds. His mother ignores him, then hugs me. "I thought I'd never see you again." She says, and a tear slips down my cheek, the first sign of my weakness near anyone for a decade. I hug her back, tight. 

FLASHBACK

"Hey Natsu! It's me, Lucy! When you're out of the hospital, you wanna come play with me?" I say, looking down at him happily. 

"Who are you?" The words hurt like a dozen knives. 

END OF FLASHBACK

I feel her hands go limp on my back. I hear her heart stop beating. I look up to see her eyelids drifting open slightly. "You killed her!" Natsu said, looking up in horror. My heart picked up the beat. "YOU KILLED MY MOM!!" He says with tears streaming down his face. It hurt more that anything I've ever felt. I would take a bullet to my chest rather than this. 

"I'm sorry!" I say, backing away. "I'm so so sorry." 

The next thing I know, I'm running away, down the sidewalk, suffering the pain that comes from my twisted ankle. "I'M SORRY!!!" I yell, running down the sidewalk like wildfire. I'm so very sorry!" I trip and fall into a ditch, suffering more pain. I burst. Every emotion pouring out of my skin. 

"Why couldn't I just die?!" I ask myself. Because right now I'm already dead.