Someone Is Watching Us

Light came to my house the next morning to walk me to school. I lived on my own since my parents were away on "vacation". At least that's what I told everyone. My parents were long gone. They went off together a long time ago. They left me to fend for myself and it's obvious where that got me. Top of my class and plotting to cleanse the world. 

Light and I walked in silence. Which was good because it gave me time to think. I observe our surroundings casually as we walk along. As I am looking around, I notice a shadow. I turn to Light and say. 

"I have something to do before school. Head on without me." As I say this I give Ryuk a look and Light nods, in recognition of both what I said and to what I didn't. As I walked away, I noticed the shadow turning towards me and then returning its focus to Light. I knew it. They suspect him. But why?

On the outside, he looked like a normal high school student. 

After I get away from Light, I turn to Ryuk. 

"Ryuk can you find our who was tailing Light?" 

"So you noticed that? You're pretty observant."Ryuk almost sounded impressed. 

"You have to be observant when you live on your own. Otherwise you could end up in big trouble. Anyway,I'll give you an apple if you help out. " I say to appeal to his greed. 

"Apples! Hmmm. Sorry but I'm not on your side. I'm on no ones side but my own. 

It looks like I'll have to figure this out on my own.