The Choice

The next day I actually made it to school on time. I ignored the girls shouting obscenitities at me and mafe my way to my locker. Turning the corner, I sensed someone behind me.

With a quick turn, I see the boy from yesterday. What was his name again?Moon or something? No it was Light.

"Hey, It's nice to see you came back to school. Decided not to ditch again?" He talked to me, rying to make conversation at which I  decided to humor him.

"Yeah,I mean I can't spend every day of my life hating the world." I didn't really want to talk but I wanted to see where this was going.

"I need to talk to you about something." As he spoke to me, I saw the girls from before glaring at me. I smirked and chuckled. I could have some fun with this.

"Of course, Light." The girls looked at me with envy as I said his name. Light Yagami..a boy talked about around school. Handsome yet reclusive. Always focused on his studies. "What about?"

" Not here...It's kind of a private matter. It's about yesterday."

I assumed he wanted to apologize for grabbing my arm so I followed him.

"The Death Note, I think it works." He said this and looked at me not sure what how I would react.

Ok, not what I was expecting. "Oh really, how can you be sure?" I doubted that he had proof.

"That man on the news yesterday ,I killed him." Light said without hesitating.

​​​​" Yeah I'm sure you did. That my friend is called a coincidence." I turned to walk away. This conversation was a waste of my time. 

Light called my name. At least this time he didn't grab me. "Then you test it and see for yourself. If your so confident I'm wrong then there should be no problem."
​​​​​​
"Fine! If it'll get you to shut up and leave me alone." I took the notebook and marched off in a huff.

Later that evening as if by mad coincidence, I saw two men harassing a woman. The woman screamed his name to the streets and I jotted it down with a light grin as I passed. "At exactly 7:35 this man will run off into the street and trip into a car leaving his face smooshed into the sidewalk with a car track cross his cheek. Mmm there, now I can go back to ignoring people." I took out my phone to call the police to report the rapist. Then I saw the exact scenario I had just written play out on front of my eyes. I was horrified. It actually worked. And I had been warned. Intent made a villain but it was still murder all the same. But no..., the man was evil and was going to be punished anyway. Yet he  was a human being. I continued to fight with myself all the way home.

I called Light and grumbled into the phone. So much to be done..

​​​​​We could use this. But we would lose something precious in the process. Our humanity, our sanity, and perhaps even our lives. Would it be worth it? 

​​​​​

​​​​

​​​​​

​​​​
​​​​​​