The Beginning

This is my first ever story.

I awoke to the sound of thunder outside my window. The air was crisp and it smelled of wet grass.  I'd always loved thunder storms. They were loud enough to block out things I didn't want to hear. Like people telling me to die and the sound of my boyfriend making out with my best friend. The sounds of my teachers nagging about pop quizzes and junk. The sounds of..well, anything. I needed the quiet. I went outside to go stand in the rain and cleanse my thoughts. The rain was coming down hard but I didn't really mind. It wasnt the weirdest thing but I liked to think of myself as a little odd for it anyway. I walked down the street enjoying the rain until I reached my school. Great I thought Another day of bullshit. 

As I headed towards the building, I noticed a boy acting strange. He was just standing there staring at a black notebook. He shook his head and dropped it on the ground before walking off. Interested I went in and grabbed the notebook. I didn't want to go to class today anyway. On my way back our of the schoolyard, I noticed the boy had gone back for the notebook. So I approached him about it.

"Is this your notebook? What does  'Death Note' mean? Is it some band or something?" I started asking this person I had never met question after question relentlessly.

"No" He said. "It fell from the sky. I saw it from the window of my class."

I looked inside the notebook. It had a bunch a weird rules and as my eyes glazed over its proclamation of the lives it could take I laughed to myself.

"It sounds like a prank.", the boy said as if he was above being tricked by such things.

I smirked at him " Then why did you come back for it? I doubt you needed extra paper."

I looked back at the notebook. "Anyway I don't believe in crap like this. If you want to take it be guest."

"Thanks I guess. My name is Light. Light Yagami. "He said this with what was probably a charming smile, except that won't work on me. Not since my stupid boyf-...well.. ex-boyfriend had cheated on me.

"Cool. Bye" I turned to leave but he grabbed my arm. His fingers locked tight around my wrist. "Stay a minute.." he said. Quickly pulling it away out of his grasp, I turned and slapped him in the face. "How da- listen smart aleck, this routine might work in the movies but in real life you can't do this kind of shit." The move had made me panic slightly and I could feel a bead of sweat slip down my cheek.

"I'm sorry. I just wanted to ask your name." Light put up his hands in front of his face to protect from another blow that never came.
I kept walking then stopped and said "Ashton..".

"It's nice to meet you Ashton..."The look on his face was one of cold pride.

I ignore him and walk off, shoving my hands into my pockets with a scowl.

When I get home, I turn on the TV, slumping deep into the couch. After a few hours of sappy K-drama, I settle in to watch the news. Apparently some criminal died of a heart attack.
What are the odds? If I was more  gullible I would think that the notebook actually worked.

Little did I know that was the moment that set in a place a series of events that would change my life.

​​​​​​