To Catch A Fox

Levi remained quiet, eyes facing forward in an almost blank and disinterested stare, keeping to his thoughts within the room filled with upscale people - those he considered idiots among the human population. He was already tired and annoyed; the trip to the capital had been a lengthy one, even more so than those in the past. The stout man had the newspapers to thank for that. Since the incident at Trost, the press had become fully submerged in the only story that seemed to matter from the event - how The Rogue Titan had 'come to their rescue'. The papers, now circulating all across Rose and Sina, documented the event to the full extent from every aspect and even included sketches of the beast created from observations made by soldiers. Due to the release, when passing through a town, the locals instantly approached the Scouts with queries such as: 'Is there really a titan on the team?' or 'Does it really not eat humans?' among other annoying requests. Of course, everyone was answered with the simple statement that everything within the ink was true, but the Scouts kept most of the information secret. Ever since their missions to observe the titan in his natural habitat, Erwin had only shared what intelligence they gathered with Pixis as they had previously declared. Everyone else was kept perfectly in the dark. Today however, they would have to reveal it. After three days of crucial paperwork and processing, they were ready. Finally, the trial on the fate of The Rogue Titan had arrived.

Levi shifted his weight again, resting most of it on one of his legs with his arms folded over one another in disapproval. God how he hated being anywhere near the courthouse, let alone in it. The large room before him was what he could call a breeding ground for political opinion. It was an open space with marbled floors and vaulted ceilings with generic wallpaper, a luxury that was common in Sina. Everything seemed to be in dull shades of navy and grey while the room had an aroma of order - not the kind of cleanliness and sterilization that Levi preferred. Some would say that the mood fit his own, but he despised the place in all honesty. The attendants in the giant room consisted of wealthy aristocrats, merchants, Wall Cultists, and worst of all the Military Police. Of course, there were also groups of civilians - most being from Trost and even a small number of former residents of Wall Maria. The Corporal's trained eyes scanned the faces in the room to size up their odds of winning. Levi's icy hues then stopped on the features of a man in the MP's. Automatically his brow creased in aggravation. The tall and scrawny man was none other than Commander Nile Dock - the Military Police's commanding officer. From previous encounters with the man, Levi knew him to be arrogant and standoffish - unreasonable as well. Nile had a thin face with black hair fixed messily upon a shaved head. The taller man's eyes were like his own, just as unkind and unamused - but they served as a disguise over his flappable core. The man would run the first chance he got when faced with real danger. Levi's scowl grew even deeper as he recognized the man next to Nile. It was Pastor Nick, head priest of the Wall Cultists - a religious organization that worshiped the walls as some sort of god or deity. Like most, Levi couldn't stand them for the group could be considered as insane and he felt that he couldn't trust them like the many he once knew in the underground. This was just great. How were the Scouts supposed to win their case, obtain The Rogue Titan and enlist him as a member of their legion where he would be put to good use?

Levi trusted Erwin. Their carefully organized plan had to work. They could not fail or their beacon of hope would be exterminated. They had to expose the terrifying and legendary Rogue Titan as he was in his entirety - a creature that no one needed to fear. They had to sugar coat everything.

Suddenly, an echoing and cavernous creaking of an opening wooden door filled the spacious room, silencing all its occupants. Every soul stood from their seats to devote their full attention to the gentleman entering the court. The man was certainly a decorated and respected one - none other than Premier Zackley, head of the three military branches. Levi knew him to be a serious man, wisdom reflecting from the perfectly groomed white hair and beard with his face framed by glasses. Of course, having great experience with reading people, Levi sensed that beneath the medals, badges, and ribbons of the man's coat that there was a sense of understanding - perhaps specks of lunacy if one dove deep enough. Zackley then made his way to his seat at the high podium that overlooked the entire interior of the room. The Premier then sat down, casually rolling up his sleeves before nonchalantly spreading out the paperwork of the case before him. For a moment, the man's eyes scrutinized the words closely before adverting his gaze from the pieces of parchment.