Curiosity and Chaos

Sleep had not been too kind to him. Though he was in repose, his body felt restless, trapped in a light sleep without the presence of dawn. His dreams kept him prisoner it seemed. Ever since he and his little ones had made their deal, his nightly visions were full of pain and heartbreak - illusions of failure and death to the last of his family. The titan was surprised that he hadn't tossed and turned in his nest as of yet - something he feared greatly for his little ones risked getting flattened by his weight. However, Armin and Mikasa had confronted him three or four times about crying out in his unsound sleep. Each time they stated their concern and worry, Rogue naturally shoved it away and gave a rehearsed smile - trying to indicate that nothing was wrong.

The titan shuttered, trying to mentally run from a vision of his little ones becoming dinner. Rogue clenched his teeth tighter as he cringed. A small and desperate whine slipped through his maw just as the faint rays of twilight descended down into the cove. As his skin soaked in the light like a sponge, the titan forced his lids to peel away. Gradually, he lifted his head from the dried leaves, letting reality sweep out the dreams from his mind. Rogue let out a hushed sigh and slowly placed his eyes onto his little ones. He himself was laying on his side, the two small children, who were deep in their sleep, resided in the dip between his ribcage and his pelvis. For a long moment, he watched their little chests rise and fall softy. They were so small, innocent, and helpless in a world full of monsters. The thought of bringing them outside the cove haunted him further. Rogue's eyes descended to the leaves in his nest as he thought. He couldn't. He could not expose them to the hunger of the titans. Yet he couldn't let his little ones starve.

The creature blinked, turning back to look at the two children nestled on his flesh, trying to come up with an idea to free himself from his deal and make him feel better all around. Rogue's ears suddenly perked up as a plan played out in his mind. His little ones were in a deep sleep whereas he was awake and alert. If he was careful, he could sneak away, get the meat they spoke of from animals, and return to the cove with food in hand. Granted, Armin and Mikasa could be awake by that time. Most likely they would be disappointed, angry even. But what could two small children do to hurt a fifteen-meter titan?

Nothing physical to say the least.

Rogue nodded to himself at his decision. He felt much better leaving them behind to wait in safety. As much as they wanted to see the outside world, his little ones would have to be patient. He would make the world safe for them first. Putting his plan into action, the titan slowly lifted his mammoth hands to the children. Rogue held his hitched breath as he placed one hand open and the other over the two. The creature then carefully lifted one of his tiny humans with his thumb and index finger with the same precision of threading a needle. The titan then placed his little one into his open palm before repeating the same nerve-wracking task with the other. Rogue took a precious moment to study the tiny figures. He was a bit amazed at his accomplishment, both proud and relieved that he had not accidentally broken the delicate bones in his little ones' bodies or woken them up. Rogue then gradually lowered his hand to the warm dry leaves, successfully removing them from his palm and tucking them in their leafy bed. The titan stole a few more gratifying seconds to watch for signs that his little ones were awakening, signs of failure. Once satisfied that the two children were still in repose, Rogue began his attempt to sneak from the nest - the action an obstacle course within of itself. The titan maneuvered awkwardly, placing himself over the two as he began to crawl on his hands from the hollow. Rogue could almost feel his body heat rising with his nerves. Not only did he have to make sure he was silent, but each placement of his knees, feet, and legs had to be precise. He would hate to lose his little ones by his own hands.

Rogue glanced from the wrong way up between his outstretched arms for the fifth time before bracing his foot against the rear of the trunk, supporting himself as he pulled his other leg from the hollow. However, the pressure of Rogue's extremity against the ancient bark of the vast tree, forced the wood to creak loudly across the tranquil hideaway. The titan paused, his heart drumming against his ribcage as he checked his little ones once more. His breath hitched in his quaking chest as Mikasa and Armin stirred slightly, making the creature's surroundings become fogged and a blur. After a few tense seconds, his little ones then settled like two baby birds in a cradle of twigs - making Rogue breathe a cloud of steam in relief. The titan then promptly removed his foot from the hollow without any second thought. The quicker he escaped, the better. A smile forced itself to form on his face. He was almost home free and the deal would be subdued. Perfect!