The Sorcerer's Dream

Sky's arm was healed in a few painful minutes and he was invited to stay at Seto's home in the city. It would be empty except for he and Deadlox, since the general had to stay to deal with the war. Sky wanted to stay with Mitch, but the idea of the first real bed in weeks helped him figure out that his friend would be fine on his own.

  The city home was only a minute or two away, and, since the streets were dark and empty minus a few late-night attenders of restaurants, they didn't see many people. Brice had apparently become something like their guide and led the two immortals down a street lined with very nice-looking houses. The sky was still dark when they entered the house, signaling that they hadn't been in what turned out to be the city hall for very long.

  The trio stopped into front of one of the smaller houses and Brice muttered something under his breath. The elegant spruce door gave a small click and the blonde pushed it open.

  Lavender and white streams of light filled the room as soon as Sky stepped inside, crisscrossing and curling beautifully across the ceiling and illuminating the room. A large, comfortable-looking grey couch bordered one wall, a similar-looking chair to its left at an angle to fit in the corner. A low table sat in the middle on a rug that matched the one in Seto's office. A set of stairs lay on the opposite side of the room and the door that they had just come through was in the middle of the wall, facing the furniture.

Brice grinned. "Pretty sweet, isn't it? The lights automatically appear when someone goes through the doorframe." He pointed to the place he spoke of, and Sky saw a small, dimly glowing symbol right above the door.

  "Anyway, there are two rooms: one for each of you. Unless," Brice smirked at them, "you'd like to share one."

  They ended up going into their separate rooms with red faces and no further conversation.

  Sky stood in a field of grass.

  It was a calm tan color, reaching up to his waist and swaying gently in a light breeze that he couldn't feel.

  Across the field, a faint black mist was approaching, and Sky got that dream-like feeling that something bad was going to happen and there was nothing he could do to stop it from happening.

  The grass rustled behind him, and Sky whirled around, terror striking him when he recognized Jason.

  "Get away!" Sky cried, and Jason held his hands out, eyes wide.

  "No, you don't understand!" he pleaded, taking a step towards the brine. "It's not me! It's not me killing i-"

  "Get out of my head!" Sky screamed, stumbling backwards and turning around.

  "Wait!" Jason's voice echoed after him, but Sky ran headlong into the black mist and it swallowed him up, taking him deeper into his dreams.

  He now felt talons digging into him, where his arm was torn open in days previous. He tried to run but his feet couldn't get a grip on the slippery stone and he fell to the ground, wings beating in his ears and a beastly roar of victory shattering the last of his bravery. A gust of wind blew him backwards, and he tumbled and slipped off of the edge of the pale stone and into the dark void of nothing.

  And as he fell, he touched his hand to his chest and discovered that his amulet wasn't there. Instantly, all he could see was the blinding white light and the image of his friend pinned beneath him and the knowledge of a fury and hatred so incredible that Sly had been about to deliver the killing blow to the boy-

  Sky flew upright in the bed, panting. His hand immediately reached for the familiar weight of the amulet and he let out a small breath of relief to know that it was still there; yet he still couldn't get that twisted knot of fear out of his gut. He was sweating, burning up and when he touched the sides of his face he discovered that tears had been running down his cheeks.