Chapter 18: Prep

Hermione's POV

"Ah, so that's why I saw Kingsley lurking the Great Hall yesterday," Ginny explained thoughtfully, and I nodded.

"I should have known McGonagall would take precautions," she continued, "Do you think they'll come for Harry?"

"I think they'll come for all of us," I replied honestly, looking down on her from the ladder I was perched on, and Ginny frowned.

"Tape," I gestured to her, and she ripped off a small piece, handing it to me.

I nodded in thanks, and hung another end of the black streamer. "So how many Aurors are here?" Ginny asked uncertainly, "I mean, there's a threat now, no doubt about it, but they aren't gonna crash out party, are they?"

I scoffed. "I don't know, Ginny," I admitted, "hand me another piece, will you?"

But before she could, I heard her say something under her breath. "I'm going to talk to Landon," she said shortly after, and I sighed.

I turned around once I heard her footsteps leading quickly away, and saw her approaching Landon, who had just entered the Great Hall. He said hi to Ginny when she came up to him, and when he saw me a few meters behind her, he waved to me and smiled. He should have been here an hour ago, I thought to myself, but returned his smile all the same.

I hadn't spoken to Landon since that whole 'incident' at that Slytherin party, I suppose. He never apologized for it, which I would expect any Ravenclaw to, but I'm guessing he didn't even remember anything from the night, considering how intoxicated he had been.

"Boys," I mumbled out loud to myself.

"What about us?"

I laughed softly to myself, but didn't turn around. "Hand me a piece of that tape on the ground, Blaise," I told him without looking.

He picked the roll up from the ground, and looked at it in distaste. "You'd think," he began while tearing a bit off, "that after all this time someone would have created a charm that makes things stick to other things."

"Sounds like a right task for you," I joked, snickering, and he laughed.

He handed me a small bit of masking tape, and I nodded in thanks. "What are you doing here, anyway?" I asked the Slytherin, "You're not a prefect."

"Draco drafted me," he joked, and gestured with his head towards where Malfoy and Greengrass were using their wands to levitate different chairs and tables into their respective spots around the hall.

"I suppose that's why Ginny's here, too, right?" He continued, and I nodded.

It had originally been the plan for the prefects to prepare the Great Hall for the ball, but a few of us had enlisted the help of some others. I had gotten Ginny to help, although maybe she would use the word 'forced'. I'm sure the other prefects weren't going to complain about the lessened workload, and I wasn't surprised Malfoy had dragged Blaise along to assist.

"Excited for tonight?" He asked, continuing conversation as he handed me another piece of tape, and I nodded.

"Who's your date?" I asked him curiously, and he shrugged.

"No date," he said simply.

"A strapping stud like you?" I asked sarcastically, "Going solo?"

He chuckled. "If I had one date, I couldn't dance with all the girls I wanted to, would I?"

I scoffed. "Pathetic," I joked, "but very 'Blaise'."

He found this amusing as well, and smirked. "What about you?" He returned the question.