Chapter 1: An Unexpected Encounter

Ginny's POV

"Gin," Hermione told me, grabbing onto my shoulder while I looked in the mirror, "Your new color looks great, please stop worrying about it, you're making me nervous."

I laughed, and put the mirror down in my lap. "Sorry," I said, still running my fingers through my hair.

It was brown now, and even though I was extremely proud of how well it turned out, I was still nervous. Red hair is the one of the trademark Weasley features, and now; gone.

"I agree, Gin," Harry said, "It suits you. I'm glad you decided to change it up a little bit."

I smiled, and looked out the window. It was just hair after all. It's dead, anyway, I thought, if it doesn't work out, dye is cheap.

As my friends continued talking, I watched the hills roll by. We were on the Hogwarts express, and now that especially because Harry, Hermione, and Ron were in my class now, I was even more excited.

Hermione was my best friend, and I couldn't wait to have a school year with her, especially after last year. Believe it or not, the death eaters constantly patrolling the hallways really was a real damper on a time that would normally be the best of my life.

But it was all over now, and I was ecstatic to be coming back. I turned back to my friends, and glanced at Harry, who smiled. He might not be my boyfriend yet, but after everything that had happened leading up to this, I hoped it was just a matter of time.

"Are you excited, Gin?" Ron asked, nudging me.

I jumped, out of thought, and turned to him. "Huh?" I asked, blinking.

He chuckled. "For quidditch," he explained, "You're going to be on the team again, right?"

I smiled, and nodded quickly. "Totally," I confirmed, "And you're still captain, Harry?"

He nodded. "You know it," he joked, and I laughed softly, returning to my view out of the window.

"Hermione!" Ron exclaimed, suddenly realizing something, "You know what Seamus told me?"

Hermione's eyes widened, and she looked down at her feet. "He told me," Ron continued, and paused, "That you made Head girl."

I gasped. "What?" I exclaimed, "Why didn't you tell any of us?"

She sighed. "I turned it down," she said softly, and looked at Ron, "Did Seamus tell you that?"

Ron nodded. "But why?" I asked.

She shook her head. "It's always been dream of mine," she admitted, and sighed, "But it's our last year, guys, I didn't want to spend it living in a separate common room with the head boy, and having extra responsibilities. I just want to be, you know, a normal student."

I gasped in mock surprise. "Hermione Granger?" I exclaimed, "A normal student? You might want to see Madam Pomfrey and get that head of your's checked."

We all laughed. "Well," I admitted, "I'm glad your gonna stay in Gryffindor tower."

"Yeah," she laughed softly, and began to whisper, "Who else are you gonna dish all your gossip to in the dorm?"

I laughed. "I thought being Head Girl was your dream?" I asked her, as Ron and Harry turned to each other and started their own conversation.

"Dreams change," she admitted, and laughed softly, "Especially after a year of waking up not knowing if your not gonna make it through the day."

I smiled weakly. "As long as you're happy, girl," I told her, putting an arm around her shoulder.

"Yeah," Harry agreed, smiling, "We're proud of you, Mione."